Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-27-2010, 10:01 PM

Default NC Side Question?

I am curious about the creek/stream running beside the welcome center on the Cherokee side of the park. It borders the trail that leads back to the farm village museum and I am wondering if it's legal to fish as well as whether anyone has fished it. If so I would be curious as to how well it fished, as well as what it's name might be?

Mike
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton
Old 01-27-2010, 10:43 PM

Mike - The Oconaluftee is the river that follows beside 441 and behind the visitors center. I have never fished close to the visitors center. I usually start up toward the Kephart trailhead. Great fishing over there and you can catch some pretty nice browns. If you move up that stream far enough you could easily catch the slam.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 01-27-2010, 11:15 PM

No fish in there, all the fish are on the TN side of the park
Old 01-28-2010, 01:56 AM

Default Thanks Guys :)

I'll be sure to avoid that stretch...(not). I noticed on our last trip through the area, that it was so open and clear, just seemed plum inviting

Mike
"Fly-fishing has many attributes, but none more pleasing than it's ability to liberate the young boy that still hides within me and to let that boy live again without embarrassment or regret, sorrow or anguish." Harry Middleton
Old 01-28-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmike View Post
...I am wondering if it's legal to fish...
Mike
Mike, just be aware that Cherokee Fish and Game fishing regulations apply to the Oconaluftee River downstream from where it joins with Raven Fork, which is just down from the farm village museum. Above that point the regular Park regulations apply. Brochures on both regulations are available on request at the visitors center.

JF
Old 01-28-2010, 09:16 AM

if I remember well enough....I fished it in the summer of 08. I started fishing at one of the nearest pull offs up the road from the farm. I wasn't that good at fishing it. It was wide and hard to do much sneaking around, like I can with smaller pocket type water. I only caught one fish. It was my largest rainbow yet. It could've eaten a smoky sized keeper! No doubt a stocker.

But farther up river, I've got a different story to tell!
Old 01-28-2010, 11:52 AM

My take on that particular section of the Lufte is that I believe it is mostly overlooked. The other nice thing about that section is that you can tie on a hopper imitation in the summer and get some suprises. I would recommend exploring it, I know there are good fish there, just have to fish it a little different because it is not set up like a typical smoky stream at that point.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:50 PM

I live here in NC and I have to agree with Flyman now there may be a rumor that I may have stuck several trophy browns, in the general area being discussed here, however those rumors are highly suspect as there are no fish in NC, so my advise would be for y'all to just go ahead and stay over there in Tn. haha kidding of course! Come on over, but the best time to fish here is the hottest days in August and the coldest days of Jan/Feb. Whatever you do stay away in Oct, just dreadful

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 01-29-2010, 09:34 PM

i was electroshocking with the park in the upper luftee not far from the road and we got a tiger trout