Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Why We Fly Fish

Old 01-30-2010, 01:25 AM

Default personal quirks?

I sit here while tons of snow is falling outside and something that Jeffnless1 said got me thinking. There are several strange (or at least to me) things that I do when fishing and I was wondering if any of you guys have similar traits. Due to the weather and time of year It seems appropriate to start with this one, if you don't fish for let's say a month do you feel yourself getting frustrated? I mean down right ornery at times, I just can feel it starting to build up in my gut and i just know, I NEED to go. OK I am really bad about not carrying a net while fishing in the park. Tailwaters no problem always got it, and I know that the distance traveled and terrain to be covered in the park adds to this, but for me it has almost gotten to a point where it is a superstition such that i don't carry a net as to add to my chances of sticking a fish I would want to have a net for. I have actually gone back to the truck to get the net following hooking, quite early, and landing a big park fish, guess what no more fish that day. OK anyone out there been fishing and landed a really good fish, i mean a good fish, like your first park fish, or a 20 incher in the park heck 18" or maybe your first tailing redfish or bonefish a permit or tarpon, and upon release the personal trophy you had to sit down for minute, or a bit more, to truly process what the **** just happened. Ok have you ever been fishing for a while on a new piece of good water, you know you should be having more success than you have had, it's been tough you change flies a zillion times you cant cast, wade or anything, and then you hook a pig, and you fight the fish and you are super aware of what you are doing cause you know this is a good one and you have sucked all day and somehow you've been blessed, back and forth you and the fish gain and lose ground(in my case a huge brown on the Chattooga) and then a you go to net the beast, a slight turn..a pop.. and he's gone. The wave of emotion runs a gammet from pure misery to appreciation, and you don't know whether to cry or laugh, and i may have done both. It is at that point that you realize the story of the day is complete and cannot be improved upon no matter how many casts you make & thus in an instant you reel up and walk to the truck with your emotions racing in a million directions not sure what to do, say, or think. And I guess finally do you get pissed at yourself for fishing poorly. I know when i fish like crap, and i don't like it. i have very high expectations of myself when i fish (at this point it should be very clear that i am completely insane ) and it sticks with me, after a poor performance I am actively looking for the next option I have to go fishing to remmedy the most recent pathetic outing. And i guess finally do you ever have trouble sleeping becasue you are thinking about fishing? I have a saltwater trip in Mexico planned for May and I swear there have been several nights this past week where I laid in bed unable to sleep thinking about bones,permit,tapron,snook,jacks, I know i got to sleep it's 1am and I gotta be in the pool at 7am and work at 8am and yet I just smile cause I just don't care. Please tell me I am not alone, and if I am, well I am just fine with that!

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 01-30-2010, 10:39 AM

C.B.,
There have been many fine fly fishing books about this issue!
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 01-30-2010, 12:13 PM

CB,

Let me say first that there is a significant gap between your fly fishing skills and mine (I don't have the high expectations that you do and have caught only one large trout, an 18 inch brown, in the park) but I understand your quirks. I, too, have lain awake at night thinking about fishing. The thought of hooking a trout sends an adrenaline rush through me that makes sleep impossible. I can see in my mind's eye the fly drifting down and I imagine different situations and how I might fish them. While laying awake thinking about a work problem bugs me to death, laying awake thinking about fishing is a whole different matter.

I don't carry a net and I've never kissed a fish but I have my share of quirks out on the stream. One thing that I struggle with almost every time I go is stopping to eat or get a drink of water. If I'm doing that then I'm not fishing and I often wait way too long and get a little wobbly and dry just because I can't make myself take 5 or 10 on a rock to get some refreshment.

One thing that I have noticed is that often times when I first hit the water, I feel like I've never done this before. I stumble, I fumble with line and fly, just generally out of sorts. After a while, though, (and it seems to happen without realizing it) it's almost like getting into a rythm where everything seems to happen without thinking. At this point, everything else in the world fades away and it's like being in a bubble that includes just me and the stream. There are times when I seem to regain consciousness and start slipping and tripping and losing flies and making goofy casts but then, before I know it, I slip back into that other place where things just seem to glide.

It's that other-worldly place that I end up in that makes fly fishing so great, where time and worries and pressures just disappear. And sometimes fish are even caught.

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 01-30-2010, 12:25 PM

Like you I think taking a net is the kiss of death for catching a big fish.
I still get the shakes when I first hit the stream, even for stockers.
I can take losing a big fish at the point of landing, Watching a big fish come up for a dry fly and missing the take pains my soul.
Silvercreek
Old 01-31-2010, 12:05 AM

Nvr2l8, i can assure you that I will feel quite novice when the spring comes and i am back in the park for the first time. I will wade clumsy and probably ruin multiple fishy looking lies, I think that it is this aspect that is one of the best parts about our park. When you think about it the difficulty level involved with the smokys makes it unlike any area i have ever fished. I think that the amount of variables that are encountered are so vast, and that is before you even start to talk about the fish and how smart and difficult they are. Over the 8 or 9 years i have fished the park it has certainly made me a much better angler, and so many of the lessons we learn here can be taken to other regions.

Barry Murphy
828-400-3335 (Cell)

www.projecthealingwaters.org
"Healing Those Who Serve"
Old 01-31-2010, 09:02 AM

If my fishing day is going to be on waters that are no more than an hours drive, I will suit up and get everything ready before I leave the house so that when I get there I can just step outta the ride and start fishing. Also rest assured that if Sunrise is scheduled for 7:15...I'll be there no later than 6:30, suited up and standing in a trance...My thinking is that suit up time is missed fishing time...
Old 01-31-2010, 04:17 PM

Clowns and monkeys give me the creeps
Old 02-01-2010, 12:18 AM

Can't stand zombie movies...anything with scary beings/spirits etc really. Guys that fish too close. The French in general. Being at the bar after two a.m. Small dogs. Cats. Goth people. Slim shady's. Most street slang. Bait casters that just chunk bait. Arrogant people. Any religous groups that come to my house when I don't ask them. Float line with memory. Coily leader and tippet. Rhodo way over the creek. Places I can't get a clear cast. Teens that protest yet don't have mortgages, car payments or student loans. North Nashville.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRaiderFan View Post
Can't stand zombie movies...anything with scary beings/spirits etc really. Guys that fish too close. The French in general.
Those were some good ones. I used to watch zombie movies every Saturday Night at the Clinton Hwy Drivein with my brother and dad. Zombie movies were the only movies that actually scared me. My brother and I would always ask each other how we would prepare for a zombie attack...

Oh the French; I just cannot stand them. Always heard that it was a great place to buy a gun; never been shot and only dropped once...
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 02-01-2010, 10:05 AM

One of my fishing quirks is talking to a wiggly fish while trying to remove the hook.
I usually say " Hold still !"