Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 02-22-2010, 08:27 PM

Default Guns in Smokies OK soon

I was going to post this last week. From the Friday Knox News. It's been talked about for some time now.

What are your thoughts? Good? Bad? I'm not sure how many anti-gun people are on this site . . .

I've had a TN permit for some time now.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2010/fe...okies-ok-soon/
Old 02-22-2010, 08:52 PM

MarkHansen--In my view, as a lifelong and serious hunter, a staunch propnent of the Second Amendment, and as a gun owner, it's long overdue. I've been in one situation in my life where I would have felt much more comfortable had someone in the party had a gun (it involved drunken guys who were beating women and, as it turned out the next day when we contacted Park officials, were on Hazel Creek to plant marijuana as well), and anyone who has earned a concealed carry permit has gone through rigorous profiling as well as training.
I'm opinionated on a lot of things, but other than family, religion, and country, can't think of anything I feel more strongly about than the right to bear arms.
To me, it's a banner day.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 02-22-2010, 08:53 PM

Default Guns in the Smokies

Hey Mark,
I am for it. Though I bet at least for a while, it will make the rangers very nervous. Not sure whether I will carry one or not, probably not unless I am planning on being in the backcountry.
best,
John
Old 02-22-2010, 10:26 PM

I too am totally for it. I am sure there are going to be some 'issues' with guys having them in the open on their sides going around the Cades Cove loop, but I have no issue with people open carrying. I do know some vacationers from the northeast and Chicago area will have an issue with it and will make a fuss.

Should make for some lively reading in the coming months.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:37 PM

I have no problem at all with the new law. Guns have been carried in the Smokies for many years illegally anyway by "law-abiding citizens" and the criminal element. I spoke to a friend of mine who is a NPS Ranger in the Smokies recently regarding the issue, and he told me that one of his main concerns was that he felt like some people who had close encounters with bear and boar may be more prone to shoot the bear or boar as opposed to other options. Also he thought that poachers who were able to obtain a permit would have an advantage now for the simple fact that they could now carry a gun in the park "legally". I will be carrying one in the backcountry.

Last edited by Speck Lover; 02-22-2010 at 11:03 PM..
Old 02-22-2010, 11:30 PM

I think it is a good thing.

Things will just continue as normal, like everywhere else where people carry.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:44 PM

I agree that concealed carry in the parks is a good thing and long overdue.
Old 02-23-2010, 12:18 AM

I am 100% for it but not because of needing protection from animals. As others have mentioned, I carry for my and my families protection against my fellow man. I am licensed in Alabama and both NC and TN had reciprocal agreements with Alabama. I'll be carrying when I am in the park from this day forward.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:39 PM

As a gun owner, range officer, and concealed permit holder, I'm in favor of it.

I have no fear (healthy respect but no fear) of 4 legged predators. They typically have far more sense than the 2 legged variety.

My .357mag would be a last stand of defense against a charging bear and I doubt if it would really have the kind of knock down power required to stop such a charge before the bear did whatever it was he was going to do to me anyway.

2 legged predators on the other hand are a different matter entirely.

I've carried a firearm of one type or another most of my adult life and in the 30+ years I've done so, I've never needed to draw it from the holster other than at a firing range.

However, having the means to protect myself and my family in the unlikely event it would be needed, it is comforting to know I may be able to stop such an attack.

I pray that I will never be faced with a situation where deadly force is required. I don't go looking for trouble, and in fact, even when armed, feel backing down from a fight is by far the best alternative. One is better off trying to avoid a bad situation or to turn around and walk away from a bad situation. If they are wanting to rob me, I'd rather give them my wallet than shoot them. However, if my life were in danger or if my wife or son were in danger, I would take whatever steps necessary to resolve the situation to my favor. I would hope and pray that use of deadly force would not be necessary.

However, if that is the only way out, I'm not going to leave my wife a widow without a fight nor would I stand idly by as someone harmed my wife or son.

As for bear or boar, even if one were getting too close, I would imagine the loud bang from a firearm going off would most likely scare it away. A simple "shot over the bow" would be my choice before pumping rounds into the animal's body.

Jeff