Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-01-2010, 10:43 AM

Default Rental Cabin Advice - Townsend

Talked the family into taking our spring break in townsend for fishing and hiking but had to sign up for a cabin instead of camping :-)

Anyone have some advice on a place to rent from or a specific cabin?

I saw the long list of websites listed in the "where to stay" but they all look great when on the internet.

Any advice would be appreciated.

If you prefer to e-mail me directly, please do so at dwa59ny "@" gmail.com

thanks in advance

david anderson
louisville, ky
Old 03-01-2010, 12:06 PM

I often get the "Premier" cabin at Treemont Campgrounds. It's small, but it sleeps 2-3 adults and 2-3 kids (I think they allow 6 people total). It has a seperate bedroom, foldout couch, loft, kitchenette, a fireplace and a full bathroom with a tub and a nice deck. Ask for one at the top of the hill, unless you want to be near the pool and video games at the bottom of the hill. They have a small store there with charcoal etc and wood for your fire ring next to the cabin. I think they run about $115 a night. Or, you can get the regular cabin for about $100 per night, or the "rustic" cabin for about $65 per night. All have satellite TV and wifi, but the rustic doesn't have a bathroom or kitchenette so get one of those by the restrooms and showers.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:11 PM

I've stayed at Timber Winds 3 times now and enjoyed it very quiet and the cabins are secluded from one another.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:33 PM

Bearly Rustic Cabin rentals. Lawsons #2 (I think, it's the one on the right). It is a 2br duplex, Fireplace, Full Kitchen, Fold out couch, Hot tub on the screened in porch. Washer/Dryer. The Cabin was built on the foundation of an old speakeasy (The Blue Fly I think). It is located right behind the 66 in Townsend. It used to be about 89 a night. We stay there every time we cabin. Great people. The back of the cabin is above the river and you can fish right from you back door, I have caught alot of hatchery fish (the only ones I keep from the river) and some smallies. You absolutely cannot go wrong at this location, they have a website. Go to "Deadbeat Pete's" if it is back open, and the Timbers for good country cooking.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:29 PM

Any other suggestions? My wife and I are thinking about coming up that way on a Wed and fishing Cherokee a day or two and then attending Troutfest on Sat before driving home Sat night.

Given that objective, would it be better to stay in Cherokee W & Th night or just stay in Townsend the whole time, drive over to Cherokee for fishing during the day (maybe just Thurs), and then just fish the Little River there in Townsend on Friday before attending Troutfest on Sat?
Old 03-02-2010, 09:44 PM

We have stayed twice in the Bear Ridge cabins in Townsend. They are very comfortable. They have a bedroom downstairs and a sleeping loft on the second floor. We enjoyed their Mountain View cabin that is in Laurel Valley. It overlooks the Golf course with the mountains as a back-drop.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:16 AM

A buddy of mine has a family cabin rental business in Townsend. I've never stayed at any of his cabins (live too close) but he's a good stand-up guy.

http://tiptoncabins.com/
Old 03-09-2010, 02:14 PM

Default thank-you

Thanks everyone for your inputs. It was really helpful to narrow down the options with some "been there done that" commentary.

I've checked into each of them and have rented a place for the week. I'll report back how it was.

Thanks again.

david anderson
louisville, ky
Old 03-09-2010, 05:54 PM

Default Little River Cabins

Little River Cabins are located right on the river just outside Townsend proper to the north of LRO. There are 3 cabins. The Pioneer (1 br, 1 bath), the Settler and the Homestead (2 br, 2 bath). They are beautiful, well built and the people who own them are great and keep the cabins very clean and well maintained. It is very quiet back there, but you are only about 3 minutes from the BP/IGA/Pizza Hut and just minutes from the Park entrance. My wife and I stayed there last Fall for a week and loved it. I am going back this April for a week. I usually talk to Charlene she is very helpful and extremely nice. I don't think you can go wrong if they are big enough to suit your family. It won't get you anything special, but tell Charlene that Ric from Indianapolis referred you. Oh if your kids like dogs then they will love Hannah the very friendly wired hair fox terrier.

http://www.littleriverlogcabins.com/index.html