Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 03-16-2010, 07:59 AM

Default Paddle to Hazel Creek

Has anyone paddled to Hazel Creek? How far is it? I am thinking about paddleing over for the day and fishing the lower section. May even camp. Departing Cable Cove seems to be the closest ramp.

DPS
Old 03-16-2010, 08:28 AM

Cable Cove is definitely the closest launch point. I've not done it, but the consensus seems to be about a 2 hour paddle. If you can, leave early before the wind gets us on the lake crossing. White caps are not unheard of on Fontana.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:37 AM

dps260--I have done the trip, many times, and Old Tom pretty well nails it. The paddle is about two hours, plus or minus 15 minutes and depending on the lake level. You definitely want to do the crossing in the early part of the day if at all possible. That makes wind, thunderstorms, and rough passage much less likely. You are crossing the widest part of the whole lake and it can get pretty rough in windy weather. I made the return trip once fighting whitecaps all the way, and it isn't a trip I'd care to repeat.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 03-16-2010, 09:58 AM

Yeah, it's a long paddle, but it is a beautiful area and a great spot when the weather is fair. Beware though, it's no piece of cake, especially if you are working against the wind. Last time I was up there we took a jon boat and had a blast.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:03 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I may take a trolling motor for my canoe to help out on the way back after a day of fishing. I am building a motor mount for my Old Town Guide and it will be good to try it out.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:42 PM

I have paddled this several times. The last time i did this....it was quite windy. Luckily, the wind was at my back....so I tied my tent fly to my two paddles and sailed accross the lake. It took much less than two hours. In fact, I think it took just under an hour. Going back to the boat ramp the next day was a different story. The wind was in my face and I had to fight to keep my bow faced into the wind. That took forever...closer to three hours. It was well worth the effort though.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:15 PM

tack and jibe