Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Why We Fly Fish

Old 03-21-2010, 03:36 PM

Default Making Memories - Trey's First Fishing Trip

I was supposed to meet up with Waterborn on Friday to fish the Clinch, but some external circumstances prevented me from doing so. Luckily, I managed to wrap those items up earlier than expected, so I thought it would be a good opportunity to take my son fishing and enjoy the mid-afternoon beautiful weather. He is 21 months old, and loves looking at my Flyfisherman magazines, watching people catch "ish" on Saturday's with daddy, and looking at fish pics on this message board. I took him to a little remote park on Melton Hill lake to catch him a bluegill. It didn't take long for him to catch his first fish, and he wanted to participate in the landing, unhooking, and release of the fish. After about 10 minutes he needed to take a rock throwing break, before catching his second fish and heading home. It was so much fun, and I just tried to let him do things that would keep him interested and not bored. If any of you other dad's out there have any suggestions for keeping the little ones interested, please feel free to offer them up. I look forward to taking him more as he gets older, as those are some of the fondest memories I have with my dad. Unfortunately those trips are few and far between now. Hopefully one day Trey will pick up the long rod, and I will be able to report on many more father & son trips. Here are a couple pics from the trip.
First Fish

Rock Throwing Break

Second Fish

"Hep Momma, Hep" - In Trey language

Casting Practice

Waiting for the next one

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 03-21-2010, 04:35 PM

Thumbs up

It appears to me that you're doing a fantastic job with Trey, and I commend you and your wife for it. My prediction is that you're going to have a fishing buddy for life. Nice fish Trey!

Old 03-22-2010, 03:23 PM

Fishing is what dads are for- my dad took me fishing. Your son has a great casting arm. I see many more happy fishing trips in your future!
Old 03-22-2010, 03:52 PM

That is so cool. Keep up the good work. Fishing is all about the next generation. Enjoy and savor all these memories.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:57 PM

Its really great that you are getting him started early on, because I know I am very fortunate that my dad did too. Now fishing is definitely my
favorite hobby, and it wouldn't be if it hadn't been for my dad. Keep up the good work and you will have a great fishing friend for the rest of your life.
Old 03-23-2010, 07:39 PM

My compliments on taking Trey fishing! Let him operate on his own time and attention span. Rock throwing and looking under rocks are part of the training. I still look under rocks, for insects to match the hatch. Too old to throw rocks. You will have many memories of that time spent together. My father took me fishing and my wife and I took our kids fishing when they were real young. Our daughter caught her first fish when she was 9 months old, in a stroller. The wife handed her a UL spincast outfit. She started waving it like leading a band. About the time she moved the rod up, a bluegill hit and was hooked. She is now 31 and we still talk about her first fish. Thanks for sharing those moments.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:30 AM

Thumbs up

Travis,

You are definitely going about it the right way. Kids need to catch fish to stay interested and bream are almost always willing.

I started by taking my daughter bream fishing at a local park. She also likes going trout fishing with me. In the past, I have carried her on my shoulders out into the river (at Miller's Island, for instance) and found her a rock to stand on. She'll be turning 7 this year , so she is now the proud owner of a pair of waders.

It's too bad that we don't know anyone with a farm pond around Knoxville. Those ponds are usually loaded with eager fishes of all shapes and sizes. That's where I cut my fishing teeth. Times change, though, and access to private farm ponds is now nearly a thing of the past. I'm in the process of fixing up an old 12' v-hull jon boat to take my daughter, and now my son (3) fishing on some of the local lakes.

Good luck, Travis.

-Chad
Old 04-01-2010, 01:35 PM

Nicely done Travis. My 21 month old son loves "ish" also. I can't wait to take him.

My Blog: Fly Fish East Tennessee
www.flyfisheasttennessee.blogspot.com

><>