Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 03-24-2010, 09:13 PM

Question Bushwhacking

To what extent is bushwhacking permissible in the Smokies? As a kid camping in Chimneys GC, my parents made me and my kid brother afraid to even bend, much less whack, a bush.

I ask because I want to explore Porters Creek and some other streams in detail this year... mostly off the trails.

JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 03-25-2010 at 06:30 AM..
Old 03-24-2010, 09:48 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to spotlight

Off trail can be done without destroying the forest it's best done real early spring when there are no leaves and less snakes too. Leave no trace when in the backcountry.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:01 AM

Bushwhacking is allowed no problem there. Like spotlight said it is easier in the winter and less chances of run ins with the snakes. Fred you may want to try and squeeze a trip in during the next couple of weeks before all the doghobble and stuff pops up then it can get tough. Don't know if you have ever been there but there is an interesting site http://www.griztrax.net that has all kinds of detailed accounts of bushwhacking trips off trail in the smokies. Another good blog with many off trail stories is Jenny Bennet's blog:
http://streamsandforests.wordpress.com/ you can go back in her archives and read all sorts of smokies off trail stuff going back to the 1980s.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:42 AM

JoeFred, many of those streams have old man-ways that will take you up the drainage to the ridgeline. In the area you mention, Porters Creek and Ramsay Cascades come to mind as having manways.

Be careful in doing so...remember that they had to do a Search & Rescue to find a hiker up on Porter's Moutain last year.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/au...ker-back-home/

There are also some park rules & regulations relating to off-trail hiking & camping. See page 10 under "Cross Country Camping", and the section showing manways that are closed (I think the Chimney Tops manway is the only one closed right now).
http://www.nps.gov/grsm/parkmgmt/upl...Compendium.pdf
Old 03-25-2010, 09:56 AM

I'd like to do more of that myself... Beware of rattlers in the summer. Seriously. When you get off the trail, especially near rivers (i.e. w/n 50 yards of the bank), you better expect to see them. I've never had one be aggressive towards me at all, but I see a lot of snakes in the park. I think you should be able to get about anywhere you want w/o having to do any chopping and hacking at the brush. What always amazes me is the ease with which wild animals move through brush that is basically a total blockade to humans.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:32 AM

This is probably a stupid question but what is the difference between a manway and a trail?
Old 03-25-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
JoeFred, many of those streams have old man-ways that will take you up the drainage to the ridgeline. In the area you mention, Porters Creek and Ramsay Cascades come to mind as having manways.

Be careful in doing so...remember that they had to do a Search & Rescue to find a hiker up on Porter's Moutain last year....
Grannyknot, thanks for the info and I will definitely heed your advice. If I don't regularly pause and remind myself about the size and complexity of the park I clearly have no business designing maps.

JF
Old 09-03-2010, 02:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

the last year's rescue was of a very very experienced ridge runner and back country expert.....he got a lil confused on dry sluice gap manway and ended up about a mile east ot where he wanted to be.....so it's easy to get lost...use care...i've been places i can't go again because i'm smarter now
sam