Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-02-2010, 08:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to ZachMatthews
Default LRO Products in National Geographic?

On page 117 of this month's National Geographic, there's a shot of three wetsuit snorkelers face-down in Abrams Creek. I distinctly spot two pairs of Simms Freestone boots, and another pair that I believe to be Cloudveils. Byron, have you been selling to any snorkeling biologists lately? If so, looks like your products wound up in the magazine.

Zach
Old 04-03-2010, 05:39 PM

Hi Zach,

I'm not aware of us selling any gear to National Geographic. I know they are talking about doing an article featuring Little River. I heard that last week. If they do it they won't be focused on fishing but instead on water quality.

Byron
Old 04-03-2010, 07:07 PM

I got that issue the other day and, glancing through, saw that pic. I need to read it when I get back home.
Old 04-03-2010, 08:16 PM

I had never heard that the park service poisoned Abrams creek in the 1950s to improve the habitat for trout. Interesting read.

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/20.../chadwick-text
Old 04-04-2010, 10:51 AM

Gutshot--That poisoning was one of many "experiments" in the 1950s which were abject failures. The Park Service wasn't alone in its folly, however. The N. C. Wildlife Resources Commission took a similar approach on Big Santeetlah and it has never been the same.
As for the Park, the list of missteps is long. I note many of them connected with fishing in my book on the Park, and there's a world of insight in Margaret Brown's fine book on the history of the Park.
Jim Casada
Old 04-04-2010, 01:44 PM

Didn't the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service control the National Park Fisheries back then and didn't they poison Abrams Creek? I guess it doesn't really matter but I think they were under a different Department of the U.S. Government in the old days maybe the Department of Agriculture. Now they fall under the Department of Interior. I remember hearing that USFW or the Corps of Engineers channelized the tributaries to Abrams Creek in Cades Cove. And, I recall hearing about a riff between the two agencies.

When we founded the Little River Chapter of Trout Unlimited, our Chapter and the Great Smoky Mountains Chapter did a lot of work in the Cove trying to stabilize the stream banks of those tribs. The creeks did not meander much. Many were perfectly straight. We raised money and built fences to keep the cattle out of the streams. When Mr. Calhourn passed away the cattle were removed from the Cove.

Also, evidently there was a Superintendent at Great Smoky Mountains National Park, many years ago, who wanted to build a dam on Abrams Creek and turn the cove into a lake. That is local hearsay that came to me from people who work for the Park. That would not fit the mission of the National Park Service and would not happen now. But, wouldn't that be interesting if it had happened?

It has been almost 20 years since I heard this and I could be wrong. I'm just thinking out loud.

Byron

Last edited by Byron Begley; 04-04-2010 at 02:03 PM..