Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-03-2010, 11:40 PM

Default Wind and Water

How did you like the wind today? I was fishing with a 4 wgt line on a stiffer 3 wgt rod and it was work to get the fly into the water. When I did, I caught fish but holy cow. If it is that windy tomorrow, I'm taking a tip flex 5 wgt Helios into the mountains just to get the fly to 'em. Add the amount of water and it was work, lot's of fish, but work today.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:26 PM

The highest gust recorded here on Friday was 60mph. I'm always a bit nervous about fishing in the woods with that kind of wind. The thought of a big tree landing upon my head doesn't make me feel too warm and comfy.

Jeff
Old 04-05-2010, 06:51 AM

Jeff--With dying or dead hemlocks everywhere, there's ample reason for concern. In fact, a fellow in a logging truck was killed by a falling tree in the Nantahala Gorge a week or so ago. I don't know that it was a hemlock, but that's a good guess.
One thing for sure, this year and in years to come trail crews are going to have a heckuva time clearing fallen hemlocks, and if a high wind comes up I'm seeking woods where there are no hemlocks. If it is windy day, I'll wait to fish some other time. I've already been on three or four streams in WNC (inside and outside the Park) where fallen hemlocks make movement upstream an exercise in extreme frustration.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 04-05-2010, 12:51 PM

Jim,
Here in Kentucky, we don't have a lot of Hemlocks like you all do in the mountains but we have a lot of deadfalls hanging in the tree tops. A couple years back, hurricane Ike came through and there are a lot of trees and big chunks of trees hanging in the tops of trees that didn't blow over. These are just waiting for the right gust of wind to come along and send a 400 pound branch crashing to Earth.

That age old question "if a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear it, does it still make a sound?" is a question I'd just as soon leave unanswered.

Hey, thanks for the reminder though. My son and I will be in the Mountains next week and it's always a good idea to be aware of what's hanging over your head as one works his way upstream.

Jeff