Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 04-14-2010, 05:42 PM

Default Central PA or Catskills in NY?

I have a free day next week between meetings and am thinking about fishing. I'm traveling from Washington, DC (Tuesday) to Binghamton, NY (Thursday), so I was thinking about fishing somewhere in Central PA and/or the Catskills of NY.

I'd like to go somewhere that I have a chance at catching some fish with dries. I'm not much on technical tailwater/nymphing. My first thought was Penn's Creek, but I was wondering if anyone who's been up that way has any better advice, especially for this time of year.

If I go somewhere in central PA I have a shot at catching the evening hatches after my meeting in DC, so that would be a bonus, but not a requirement.

Thoughts?

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 04-14-2010, 08:49 PM

Pete,

Try to get hold of Trevor Smart, he has first hand experience from that area. On another note, are you ready for our trip? It looks like I won't be at the campsite until late Friday evening. Will try to head out of my office at 4 pm or so. Wish I could take the day off but it ain't happening. I need to send an email to our third party to see what his plans are. Good luck up north.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:10 PM

Hans, I have a busy week next week, but I should be back home on Friday just in time to hike in.

Here are a few friends I'm bringing along to share (on #10 3xl hooks):

Old 04-14-2010, 11:37 PM

I used to travel that area quite a bit. My opinion?

Central PA=overrated
Catskills=underrated

But you can't go wrong with either.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:49 PM

I grew up in Carlisle, PA (near Harrisburg off of I-81) and unfortunately didn't start fly fishing until after I moved to TN. I have been able to get in some good fishing up there when I go back to visit and I must say the Yellow Breeches is my favorite stream to fish. A quick search on current fishing conditions turned up this positive report:

http://www.orvis.com/fishing_report....ocationid=6015

there is also the very famous Letort Spring Run, which I've found to be a very difficult stream to fish...and there's the Susquehanna, which is a fantastic smallmouth river but appears to be a little too high to wade right now...

Hopefully this helps!
Old 04-15-2010, 03:12 PM

Default Just an idea

Wasn't sure if it was a couple days of mtgs and you were trying to get out a couple nights and such...

But another option is Catoctin NP in MD. A long time ago when I lived in the area I had a friend who was a Ranger at Catoctin and he kept asking me to give fly fishing a try and to let him take me to the park. (Like an idiot, I didn't take him up on it). Supposedly they had brook trout there as well as being stocked by the state. It is about 50 miles from DC so if you could slug your way through traffic or beat the 330-700 oclock rush you may get there with a couple hours to fish. Just an Idea.

Some info
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/fisheries...tingcreek.html
Old 04-15-2010, 06:30 PM

I have fished Penns in both Poe Paddy State Park and Ingleby. The Poe Paddy C&R section is pretty neat as you take an old railroad grade through a tunnel to get to the C&R section. Ingleby is nice because it is a little harder to find and I've experienced less people in this section. I talked to a local up there that told me during green drake season that it is "bring your own rock". Good fishing and good evening hatches/spinner fall at both locations.

Another neat little stream I fished in 2005 was Clark Creek just north of Harrisburg. It had a C&R section that had old "K" dams that made for good fishing.

I've fished Spring Creek in Fly Fishers Paradise a couple of times. It is very technical but good midge fishing.

I fished the Delaware in lower NY and was not impressed. There were blankets of sulfurs on the water and I didn't see a single rise...but apparently (from above) I missed the good water of the Catskills.

Bottom line, you can't go wrong with Penns!

Chris
Old 04-17-2010, 03:07 PM

Default Thanks!

Thank you guys, I've settled on a plan.

I have one meeting on tuesday at noon in DC and then am going to drive to Penn's Creek to catch the evening hatch. I'm then going to fish it again on wednesday before heading up to my meeting in binghamton on thursday. If my meeting in binghamton ends early on thursday I may try to get over to the Beaver Kill for a few hours, as well.

Thanks for the advise!

Old 04-23-2010, 12:15 AM

Default Plans are meant to be changed...

I wound up fishing a few different spots in PA...Posted a thread about it

Last edited by PeteCz; 04-25-2010 at 02:20 PM..
Old 04-23-2010, 08:22 AM

Well, Mr Halford, sounds like you had a good time up there on those "hallowed waters". I had on a good fish for a second or two Wed, night on the Clinch. I managed to set the hook too quickly. Unsettled weekend down here, check with Buzz for an update.