Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-25-2010, 12:42 AM

Talking Snake Bite

Not to deter anyone, but be mindful when walking through large rocks, and downed timber.
Spring break a couple of weeks ago..... no, the 1st of April, I was fishing Snowbird with my fishing buddy
He did something he never does and hopped in the water swimming downstream toward me right through the water I was fishing. I scolded him mildly, and felt bad about it. It was a beautiful day and I noticed he had taken up his position at my right hip, and he was shaking.... Water temp 50 deg, and air in the 60's; strange. I said; Cooter what is wrong with you? He didn't answer, rarely does, but went to the bank and proceeded to shake some more and began to druel. I wondered if he was having a stroke? He wouldn't move when I urged him to go with me back to the cabin, he was out of it, that was apparent. I left him and went for help. When I got back with help we found the bite on his ankle. I had gone down a steep bank over a boulder field, he went through and evidently got hit going through... twice. He is doing much better now, but still shows some necrosis around the bite. The snake got him twice right on the ankle, where he had little fur.
Anyway keep an eye open for the snakes, it is that time of year.
Best,
John
Old 04-25-2010, 09:30 AM

John - hope he makes a full and quick recovery.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 04-25-2010, 09:52 AM

Man hope he makes a full recovery. I hate to hear that but I truly wish you and him the best. I know how it is to have your best friend hurt or sick.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:43 AM

Here's hoping for a speedy recovery! It's a good thing he was a large breed, I've always been told that a large breed can withstand a bite better than a small breed. Any truth to that old saying?? flyguys
Old 04-25-2010, 03:21 PM

Saw this guy about 3/4 of a mile above Elkmont on Friday. It was hanging out between the stream and the trail so be careful out there for sure...

"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 04-25-2010, 04:28 PM

Smile That must be a "Snakey Spot"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plateau Angler View Post
Saw this guy about 3/4 of a mile above Elkmont on Friday. It was hanging out between the stream and the trail so be careful out there for sure...

I saw 3 rattlers 2 years ago in that exact location. In fact he looked like that one with lots of black. One I almost jumped on (landed 6 inches away) one,glad he slithered off the rock and away from me before I jumped back to the middle of the river. I've always heard Elkmont had alot of snakes, maybe there is really something to that.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:06 AM

I'm glad the guys o.k. I worry about my dogs often when they are out hiking. My beagle was bit in the face by a snake in our backyard.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:49 AM

Dude, that is awful. I hope your buddy gets to feeling better soon!
Old 04-26-2010, 09:06 PM

Sorry to hear about your fishing buddy. Glad he's getting better.

We saw 2 snakes up Elkmont last week. One was for sure a garter snake about 18" long. The other we didn't get that close of a look at. My son sat on a rock to tie his boots and steped on the thing and it crawled back under the rock. It was under a bunch of leaves. Needless to say, he found a different rock. He said it was dark color. It was in the same area we saw the garter snake so I would reckon it was the same species, I hope...

Jeff
Old 04-26-2010, 09:37 PM

Default Thanks for the concern!

He seemed to be much better weekend before last. I heard that it is good to give them benedryl (sp?) asap. I would also say it is a good idea to tie them up, or pen them for a couple of days. He laid still for a day, didn't even eat, and this dog never passes up food!
The 3rd day he felt better, and followed me up the creek for a couple of hours. He stayed on his feet all day long, and the whole time his ankle bled. That leg was easily twice the size of his right leg. That evening he laid down, and didn't move the next day, which made me think he should have been tied up, or penned. I'd hate to think how much blood he lost. He would have improved more quickly, I think had he moved less. Still with any dog, an injury takes a lot of life from them. But what a life a dog has up on Snowbird Creek, room to roam, plenty of people to mooch food from........ and a big creek to play in whenever you want. That dog is rarely dry it seems! I think he will be fine though. It has been proven by the way, that a dog's saliva does have some antibiotic properties.
Best,
John