Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 04-25-2010, 09:17 PM

Default My first tailing Red of 2010

Well I fished Saturday afternoon on a marginal tide, saw two fish, but not even enough to get a cast to one before they were gone. Sunday and the winds were about 15 with gusts past 20, but decided to go anyway. As a matter of fact I decided to put my kayak in an adjacent creek and paddle out to get to the far end of the flay (about a mile). It was blowing a gale and I did not see anything at all and headed back, of course it was into the wind the whole way. I got about 200 yards from the truck when I stopped to rest a while. Would't you know it there was a tailing red behind me. One cast with a gold crab pattern (Thanks Barry!) about 2 feet in front of the fish, one strip and it was on.

Fish On!

25.5 inch redfish

My kayak rig

I mounted a bolt on the top of my anchor pole that will mount my camera.

John
Old 04-26-2010, 04:06 PM

Lightbulb Multi-purpose Mount

I like your rig and camera idea. Another idea is to get a microphone flex mount from Radioshack and mount it to your boat. I use one for my hand held GPS. It is a great multi-purpose tool and you can use it on the fly bench for a third hand. Be sure and get a mount too....

to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 04-26-2010, 11:26 PM

Shawn,
That is a great idea. I am going to check that out. Thanks for the tip. As a Marine I am somewhat of a gear nut. I guess that when you are in the field for a while you learn that it is the little things that make life easier that are the best. What is up with the links that are imbeded into the posts now? For some reason when I typed truck, it automatically made a link, I just didn't know if someone knew what was going on with that.

John
Old 04-27-2010, 11:01 AM

John,
That is a super nice fish! Did not mean to side track your post! I am a tech and gear nut too. I love thinking up new ideas and challenging myself to implement them. Some work well and others do not... Still, it is lots of fun.

I plan on using my flexi mount to get some HD Video in the next few weeks. I figured it would be helpful in getting the best angle without having another person to video. It is nice too in that you can unscrew the rod from the mount. The only negative is that it is a snag point.

Thanks for sharing the Redfish Pics! I plan on trying that the next time I get down to the coast.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Tags
redfish, reds, spot tail