Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 05-08-2010, 11:03 PM

Default My new Water Out West, Bluelining in Co.

Finally found my creek. It was not the one I was looking for,Gould's Creek, that one is still froze over, but it is a good one. Stopped by my afterwork spot, Fountain Creek, to keep the kitty away and was rewarded with several descent browns.

Made my move to the southwest and was rewarded after some nosing around. As said before the original target was still ice covered and the ponds in that area still have a lid. My creek despite it's elevation was open and crystal clear. It seem s like one that is not much effected by runoff; I'll cross my fingers there. Plenty of brookies and cutts, not sure what subspeacies, I'm sure someone can fill me in. Heres a few pics.

This guy though very much a dink, was gorgeous, espeacially in person.

Flies of the day; yella stimi and pink SJ worm. Cutties loved on top and the brookies wanted the weenie.

Have a Good 'Urn,
bones
Old 05-09-2010, 10:43 AM

Default Cutthroats

Bones, I suspect they are Colorado River Cutts
http://wildlife.state.co.us/Research...hroatTrout.htm

There could be some Greenback Cutts planted in the stream. The CO DOW has actively planted them in the South Platte and Arkansas River drainages (where Fountain Creek ends up)...so keep your eyes out for 'em

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Wildlife...kCutthroat.htm

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 05-09-2010, 12:52 PM

Both creeks I fished yesterday all head to the Arkansas. Cutthroat are hard to tell apart other than snake river cutts that have also been planted in the S. Platte. Rio grande Cutts are also relatively easy to distinguish from their cousins but are also geographically different.

There have been many cases out here where the CDOW has planted greenbacks, and not so pure Greenbacks, over other cutthroat Pops. The Cutts and brookies I got into came from Middle Beaver Creek in Pikes Peak National Forest. Can't get over the fact that these awesome wild fisheries are only 28 miles from my house.

I have a bead on a stream up by RMNP for supposed pure Greenbacks. I think that report will ahve to wait for warmer weather as it is above 11,500.

Have a Good 'Urn,
bones
Old 05-11-2010, 02:04 AM

I've caught all thee native species in CO, all four in WY, westslopes in ID, and Lahontans in NV. I know the CDOW takes some heat over their CR/greenback stockings but you need to research Behnke's position on this.

If you want greenbacks, try Roaring River - a very healthy population and the further you hike the better the fishing. For CR cutts, try Timber Creek and for a real experience hike into the meadow area below Timber Lake (~5 miles). For Rio Grandes: Lake Fork of Conejos, Cascade Creek, or Prospect/Treasure Creek.

If you want to catch brookies, the best brookie stream I've fished anywhere in the US is Tonahutu Creek along the Green Mtn trail in RMNP...brook trout on every drift!

Chris