Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 05-09-2010, 08:19 AM

Default Yellowstone Area Snowpack 40%

Just to let anyone heading that way this summer that the snowpack in the Beartooths- a lot of Yellowstone's water supply- was extremely low this winter. This MIGHT result in extemely low water levels and stream closures early in the day. Be sure to check ahead and do your research before heading out(:<).

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum
Heading West Friday(:>)
Old 05-10-2010, 09:52 AM

Good luck on your trip and please keep posting. Wife and I are do to be out there later this month
Old 05-10-2010, 11:14 AM

Just out of curiousity, where are you getting the 40% number? I know it hasn't been the best year for snow but nothing I have seen is quite that bad...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 05-10-2010, 11:33 AM

If you are planning on fishing, there is a lot of water that is closed till after Cutthroat spawning in AND outside of the Park. Check to make sure your water is open. It's been extremely cold there the past few weeks, but the high temperature in Cooke City is supposedly to be in the 50's to 70's range next week. These "might" trigger an early run off if it stays that high for a long time. Be sure to get in touch with flyshops in the area you are planning to fish for up to date info. I learned the hard way-My very first trip to Yellowstone was in the middle of a long very heavy, Run Off.

If you are on the Wyoming section of the Beartooth Hwy, stop by and say "hi", we'll be the campground hosts at Crazy Creek about 10 miles east of Cooke City. Checkout the first two web cam's for the Cooke City area. www.bigmooseresort.com.

Randall Sale
the Kytroutbum
Old 05-10-2010, 11:46 AM

P.A. That figure is what our Supervising Ranger gave me over the phone about two weeks ago when we were discussing an earlier opening date for the campground. They had already been in clearing out down trees and brush, etc. Two weeks ago, before the last front up there, the Web cam at the Exxon in Cooke City showed "no snow" on the slopes. I pulled up several sites, where snowmobile operators shut down early or altered their plans for the winter. Apparently, the snow went south to Colorado(:>)! I'm setting up my Pop up camper next Wednesday at just below 7000, hopefully NOT in a snow bank.

Randall
Old 05-10-2010, 11:12 PM

I pulled this up from the Yellowstone Insider off facebook: http://yellowstoneinsider.com/201004...dry-summer.php This didn't give an amount but illustrates the situation.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:06 AM

I know that they have had an extremely cool spring with several decent snowstorms in the past 2-3 weeks. Snow is in the forecast daily in the Yellowstone area for the next week or so along with cool temperatures. Most of the local shops are not too concerned unless things turn extremely hot early in the summer... Looking at specific snotel sites is encouraging as well. The site for Two Ocean Plateau for example has around 6 feet of snow currently on the ground. Last year around this time I believe they had another 20 or 30 inches but it is still MUCH better than it was a few summers ago when afternoon closures on all major streams were the norm. Hopefully they won't get too bad of a summer. Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to make it out this summer, but I would not be too concerned if I had a trip planned. I think there will be at least some watersheds that will fish okay most if not all of the summer...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com