Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > General Fly Tying

Old 05-11-2010, 08:46 AM

Default Steve Yates - Little Yellow Sally

http://littleriveroutfitters.com/lit...ates/index.htm
Steve Yates makes this fly look perfect in his tutorial, and I can get pretty close, but I am struggling with the wings. Does anyone have any advice on making the wings look good on this pattern? Is there a way of trimming the CDC feathers that I should know about? I also tried yellow deer hair, which looks ok, but not up to par.

Does anyone have a more extensive tutorial on prepping, placing, & tying in the CDC feathers?
Old 05-11-2010, 09:19 AM

Grannyknot, you do not say what it is about your flies that displeases you, so it is hard to suggest a fix. I doubt the trout would care, but you do not want to trim those feathers. If you do you will have a wing that looks blunt at the tips. I'm thinking that your problem may have to do with the selection of the feathers or the quality of the feather. You may also be having thread tension problems causing the feather on one side or the other to not mount properly. Regards, Silvercreek
Old 05-11-2010, 09:43 AM

The 2 most noticeable problems I am having are:
1.) when I tie in the 2 feathers, they look too big for the hook (size 12)...almost like i have tied in 2 giant pieces of marabou. Maybe my CDC feathers are too big for some reason?
2.) If i do get them to look somewhat proportional to the hook size, the lengths of the barbs are all different and not uniform. Steve Yates wings looked so uniform, I could have sworn it was hair that had been put in a stacker.

Also I was wondering if people tie in one cdc feather, then tie the other one seperatly, and adjust them together. Or if they are just stacked on top of each other and tied in.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:57 AM

You need to be using CDC feathers which have barbules which are long enough to reach from the tie end point to the hook bend. Those feathers are not stacked on top of each other, but placed side by side and tied in together, not one at a time. Also note that Steve is tying in his feathers on a thread base which prevents the feather shaft from being crimped into the dubbing and causing the feather to flare upward. If you look closedly you can see a couple of thread wraps behind the tie in point of the feather. I'm thinking the feather quality is your main issue. Regards, Silvercreek
Old 05-11-2010, 10:38 AM

One other observation, I just noticed that you are using a size 12 hook. That's really pushing it to find CDC with barbules that are going to be long enough. Steve's suggested sizes of 14-16 are more in the range of the size of the bug and the workable length of CDC barbules.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:52 AM

GK, You might want to post a pic and we might have a better idea of what you are meaning...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."