Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 05-18-2010, 09:24 PM

Default Albuquerque, NM

Cashed in some airline miles today. Would some friendly souls give me some pointers on where to go? I'm looking at picking up a car at the airport Sept 4th. Dropping it at ABQ on Sept 13th.

I'm going to stay at a motel/lodge etc the whole time. I'm hoping to hit several different rivers or smaller streams during this time. One is a given San Juan, but where else would you go. I can handle a couple of hours of driving in the morning and ditto at night. I haven't picked my lodging yet, but I want a base camp at the same location each night. Any info appreciated.

Thanks,
Old 05-19-2010, 09:06 AM

Default Santa Fe area

Hey Hans, I did some research on the Santa Fe area about 5 years ago and then the trip fell through. I have forgotten the names of some of the streams. I don't even remember how far the Santa Fe area is from Albuquerque. Some of the names I remember - The Pecos, the meadow streams of the Jemez area, the Guadalupe, the Chama. There was a stream that moved back and forth on the Colorado border, I think the name meant "stream of the pines" that really sounded appealing to me. If I can find some of that stuff again, I will send you an e-mail with the links.
It reallly does sound like an exciting area to fish. Hope you get to go. Forgot the Cimarron.

Mike

Last edited by MtnMike; 05-19-2010 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: add a stream
Old 05-19-2010, 09:50 AM

Hans, check your e-mail, I just sent you some info...

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 05-19-2010, 05:41 PM

I had planned to fish NM in 2009 but the economic downturn put a damper on that.

I had scoped out the Valle Vidal in northern NM. They have done a great deal of Rio Grande cutthroat restoration work.

If you want something closer to the center of the state: Rito del Padre has a Pecos strain (large spots) of the Rio Grande cutty and Las Aminas Creek is the southernmost population of the Rio Grande cutthroat.

I will be out there the end of July in the Gila Wilderness chasing the gila trout.

The "stream of pines" is Rio de los Pinos and I caught my first Rio Grande cutthroat in a Colorado trib (Cascade Creek). I accessed it from Osier train station on the Colorado side.

Good luck,
Chris
Old 05-19-2010, 07:11 PM

Thanks to all of you. Mike I have read about the "Rio de los Pinos and it sounds nice. They all sound nice. I am going to spend some time on the San Juan tailwater that's for sure. As for the rest of the time, it's still up in the air. Southern Colorado sounds intriguing also, and Pete will vote for that area I'm sure. The problem is that I don't want to overwhelm myself either. Need to pick a handful of somewhat larger streams with fairly easy access.

Chris, thanks for the input, nothing is set in stone yet, besides the San Juan tailwater.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:25 PM

I love southern CO! If you choose to spend some time there, let me know and I'll put you on some very good water.

Rio de los Pinos at Osier, CO just before it enters NM. I have a friend that fishes this section every year.

Rio de los Pinos upstream of Osier (toward Cascade Creek).

John and Devan at Conejos River Angler are top notch - probably the second best fly shop (behind LRO) I have been in, anywhere.

Chris
Old 05-30-2010, 08:10 PM

What do you know about the cabins they have for rent? Couldn't really find much info on their web site. Might have to give them a call. Need some basic lodging in that area. I'm splitting my lodging in two. First half of trip in the N.W of NM. The second half more of the direction east. Any help with lodging advice are welcome.

Thanks,

Nice shots by the way.