Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-27-2010, 03:29 PM

Default Going to Smokemont 6/9 thru 6/12

Taking the family to Smokemont 6/9 and in reading the fishing report it looks like their may be some road closures. I was planning on going thru Townsend and then taking the road that follows Little River past Elkmont and up over the mtn. but am wondering if that road will be closed or is it just the road up to Elkmont? Also, any reports or suggestions for the Smokemont area are appreciated. I'll have the whole family so it won't be an exclusively fishing trip, but I'm sure I'll get some in.
thx
Old 05-27-2010, 03:38 PM

There should be no problems getting over the mountain that way....they are only closing the road into Elkmont during that time after 5pm for the fire fly happening...the road up to Clingman's Dome may not yet be open at that time...the area above the campground...Bradley's Fork .... is the closet fishing and has fish in it....also just above the entrance to the campground...the 'Luftee appears to be fishing well right now...a drive thru the reservation up past Raven's Fork to Straight Fork will also put you on to some nice water....the last time I was up that way in the fall there was a herd of elk close to the road...always an exciting site....hope you get in some fishing.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:35 PM

I envy you. Smokemount is my favorite spot to camp and fish. There are several good pools on the Luftee and Bradley Fork in good from the confluence all the way up. What is great is being able to walk from the tent a few FEET to fish-able water. Have a good trip.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

don't miss mingus mill, between smokemont and the lufty visitor center...go to back right corner of parking lot, go up asphalt path...find slave graveyard....
entering smokemont, before the campground, gate to left...follow road, do not take path up the hill, and find big Bradley cemetery.....go out bradley fork to ?water storage?...path to left will take you to connor cemetery
happy camping
Old 05-27-2010, 08:47 PM

Sam--And if they want to walk a bit, they can hike up Mingus Creek to the cemetery there. Speaking of it, any idea of the origin of the "high up" totem-like thing which was once there?
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 05-28-2010, 01:14 PM

Thanks for all the info. I've packed in on Bradley fork, but never camped at Smokemont. I'm usually on the TN side as it is closer and if I go to NC it is usually Cataloochee or Deep Ck. I'm looking forward to it.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to sammcdonald Send a message via Yahoo to sammcdonald

jim,
i have no idea at all...i do know i saw a huge rattler on the trail near the cemetery