Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 06-15-2010, 03:34 AM

Default Forney Creek advice

I'll be taking a 5 day trip hiking and fishing Forney Creek from the end of Lakeview to Clingmans Dome next month. I'll be fishing a 4 wt flyrod and the two guys going with me will probably be using spinning gear. Will the trout be active in the lower part of the stream that time of year or will we need to get to higher elevations to find eager fish? Any campsites I should make sure to visit/avoid? Any advice you guys could give me would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:34 AM

Jumperdoc--You should be able to catch fish commensurate withg your abilities from one end of Forney to the other. It's a dandy stream--my favorite of all in the Park. I assume you realize you've got a pretty good haul ahead of you (look at the graph for Forney in my book which shows the elevation change per mile for Forney), although spread out over five days it should be doable. You should be able to take a trip Smokies slam without too much trouble, since the lower portions of the stream feature a good mix of 'bows and browns while you get into specks in a big way around the cascades area. Remember Bear Creek is closed right now for speck restoration. Have a great trip.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 06-17-2010, 03:57 AM

Thanks for the info Jim. I'm aware that we'll have a pretty good hike ahead of us. The last day hiking out to Clingmans Dome looks especially strenuous. We were originally considering a bushwhacking loop of the upper Raven Fork if that gives you an idea of our taste for adventure/self abuse. We decided on the easier of the two trips... easy being a relative term. I'll make sure to take some pics and post a trip report.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:10 AM

double post

Last edited by jumperdoc; 06-17-2010 at 04:13 AM.. Reason: double post
Old 06-17-2010, 01:22 PM

Jumper doc, just after college a friend and I hiked down forney creek from clingman's dome and back up. On the way down we passed 3 hikers with 2 packs coming up. The one without a pack told us he left his in a tree next to the trail and we were welcome to anything in it. He was going to come back and get it "later". We made it back up with our packs but it is a haul. We stayed at the Jacob Fork or Jake's Creek (or something like that) site and it was a great trip. That little fork is worth some time fishing too. Have a great trip.
Tye
Old 06-18-2010, 04:28 AM

lexfly- Thanks for the info. We'll do our best to not leave a breadcrumb trail of high dollar backbacking gear on our way out. From the looks of things the roughest part of the trek should be from campsite 68 to Clingmans Dome. Most of our food and adult beverages should be gone by that point so the packs should be pretty light.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:15 PM

Of course, you are talking about July, with hot weather and low water. This is not the best time for fishing, but it's a great time for camping and exploring.

The lower section of Forney is only at 1,700 feet altitude. If it were me, I'd focus my attention several miles in, above 2,500 feet. It will be cooler there. Water levels will largely be determined by how much rain we get over the next few weeks. The lakeside campsite is nice, but it is also popular. There will certainly be several groups there each night around weekend periods. I've fished lower Forney several times this spring and the fishing down low has gotten tough with the warming water and lower levels.

Another consideration is fly vs spin fishing. Forney is a small stream, and the upstream tributaries are very small. I'd try and convince my friends to pick up a fly rod. They have several weeks to learn and could take both rods. It's a long way to walk in and not have the right gear to dabble in a jump-across stream.