Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 07-05-2010, 05:24 PM

Default Deep Creek

I have been wanting to hike down Deep Creek Trail to 54 for a long time and finally decided to do it this weekend. I have to admit that I have long been fascinated by the reports I have read about the fishing on Deep Creek. I have been going to 23 and 24 on Little River for the past few years. I have to say that I was completely unaware of how much different Deep Creek is beginning with the trail itself. I am so sore today that I dont want to get off the couch. The hike out was brutal and only for those in really good physical condition!!! I will need to lose 20 or so more pounds before I try that hike again! I will also remember to go with a much lighter pack!

Other than the hike out it was a great trip! The fishing was fair, however, I spooked more fish than ever on this trip and need to work on my stealth a bit more. I saw quite few nice size fish go darting under rocks! I was also not prepared for the lack of entry spots to the river. It was difficult when fishing upstream and also looking for an "exit strategy". I caught quite a few small browns and rainbows, more browns than rainbows. There were surprisingly few people for it being a holiday weekend. I was also surprised at how much water was flowing compared to the little river.

I plan to hike in to 59 next. I assume that that hike is a little more forgiving to 38 year old out of shape fisherman!
Old 07-05-2010, 06:59 PM

Default Some Pics

Old 07-05-2010, 07:02 PM

Old 07-05-2010, 07:07 PM

Default I ran into this, not sure what it was all about.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:10 PM

Old 07-05-2010, 07:16 PM

Sorry for all of the bad photography, I need a new and better camera
Old 07-05-2010, 07:12 PM

Even if the fishing was only fair, it sounds like a good trip.

Did you go solo? Did you see any bears?

I have been planning a trip to #59 for a while, I have decided to head out in the morning. I was hoping to find a buddy, but I will be going in solo.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
I have to say that I was completely unaware of how much different Deep Creek is beginning with the trail itself. I am so sore today that I don't want to get off the couch.

I plan to hike in to 59 next. I assume that that hike is a little more forgiving to 38 year old out of shape fisherman!
"completely unaware"??... I don't believe I have read many reports about Upper Deep Creek, that don't start off with something like..."I had no idea how bad it was"..."its one of the toughest hikes in the park"...or "its not worth the effort"...

Anyone who is thinking about making the trip should do a search on the forum for "Upper Deep Creek" and read for yourself. Its not an impossible hike, but its very tough. The hike-in, combined with the lack of rain over the last two months is a recipe for lousy fishing...btw, the last mile up to US441 is over 800' of elevation gain...Besides, I think the best fishing on Upper Deep Creek is between May 1 and Mid June...just my observation...Jim C. probably has a better feel for it than me...

As for the hike to 59, its much easier, but it does have one good section of elevation gain that will get your heart pumping. The rest of it is similar to Little River Trail...but honestly, with the weather the way it has been, you might want to wait until the fall...

Just a suggestion

"Even a fish wouldn't get into trouble if he kept his mouth shut."
Old 07-06-2010, 06:46 AM

Pete CZ (and others)--The hike invovled in reching Polk Patch from 441 is a bear (the final two miles going back out, at any rate), but there is an alternative well worth considering. That is to make a four- or five-day trip starting at the upper trailhead and finishing at the lower one, changing campsites two or three times as you go. It involves some planning but also lets you see the many faces of Deep Creek and other than a modest climb up the ridge where the trail leaves the stream at Bumgardner Bend, is pretty easy going.
Someone also mentioned trail access to Right Fork above Polk Patch. While the trail isn't visible from the creek in many spots, it is seldom very far away. When you decide to stop fishing, just strike out to your right (as you face upstream) and most places it isn't much distance at all to the trail. Now Rocky Fork and Sahlee (feeders of Right Fork)are different propositions.
Yet another point was made about Right Fork being tight fishing. I guess it is a matter of perspective, because I've never thought it particularly bad. However, if that troubles you and you don't mind some bushwhacking, climb up to the Fork Ridge Trail from Polk Patch campsite and then drop down to Left Fork. It is wide open (just no trail).
Finally, I guess I never thought much about the quality of the fishing at different seasons when it comes to Right Fork. I think, on reflection, I would agree April and May are prime, but then that's true anywhere in the Park. I've always been able to catch fish in good numbers in and around Polk Patch no matter what the season, and late October/November see the big browns moving up into this area
Maybe this weill help a bit It's an area where I've spent a world of time.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 07-06-2010, 10:58 AM

Agree that Deep Creek fishes well year round. I think that most people have a hard time later on because the fish can be spooky in the low flows. They still have to eat though and if you make an effort to cast a little further and stay a little lower then you will be rewarded...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com