Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-11-2010, 10:28 PM

Default Upper Deep Creek Guardian

Decided on the spur of the moment to do something I have been wanting to do for years, hike down to Deep Creek from Newfound Gap Rd. Got delayed meeting a lady friend and her family, etc. Didn't get on the trail till 3:00, took a little over an hour to get to 53. Was surprised to see a pretty younger lady who had hiked down the Fork Ridge Trail by herself and was going to setup camp at 53. Talked to her a while, then rigged up and starting fishing upstream. Didn't have a lot of time to fish, wanted to make sure I would get out before dark set in. I fished until the stream comes back to the trail, right before I go there I spotted something out of the corner of my eye after I released the second brookie of the day. Turned out to be a timber rattler, first I have seen in the Smokies, 3 foot long or so, very menacing looking with the black head and snake eyes Managed to move around the back of the beast to get a few pics, had to steady myself while taking them, didn't want to get bit and have to hike back out to Newfound Gap Rd.

As far as the fishing, of course water levels were low, and I only managed to catch two 6-7 inch brookies, but I was moving fast, this was more of an exploration trip to see the area. I met the young lady on the hike out, she had went up the Deep Creek trail a ways after I told her about that section. Showed her the picture of the snake, then I headed up the trail, the last part was a little rough, especially in the heat.

All in all, it was cool to do something I have wanted to do for ten years. Next time, I'll wait till water levels are higher, and take my camping gear so I can explore and fish that area thoroughly, hope I don't see another rattler

Old 07-11-2010, 11:27 PM

Stopped to talk with a pretty lady for a while and then went fishing before dark set in? Yeah, we believe every word of that story. Tell us the truth, the photos are from another trip right?

Seriously, nice fish and cool snake. I haven't seen a rattler in the park but would like to some day (from a safe distance of course).

Jeff
Old 07-12-2010, 12:20 AM

the snake looked hungry, flabby belly.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:22 AM

Hmmmmm, can't see the snakes belly I think the snake was laying on the rock to chill out in the afternoon heat

Neal
Old 07-12-2010, 09:21 AM

Smile Where's the pic of the pretty lady?

Just kidding, I'm always pleasantly surprised by Hotties in the backcountry. When I was there last Nov at Poke Patch a trailrunner passed us on the way in. She was quite cute and running from Newfound Gap to Bryson City. Said it took her between 3 & 4 hours!
Old 07-12-2010, 09:30 AM

Yep, this girl didn't have a spare pound on her Hadn't even broke a sweat and my old self was gasping for air and sweating up a storm I have seen trail runners on the Bumgardner Ridge area of the trail. Great exercise if you're into it. Knew a forester in SW Colorado, guy was a beast on the trail and fighting backcountry wildfires. Me, I just keep plugging along, slow and steady

Neal
Old 07-12-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
Stopped to talk with a pretty lady for a while and then went fishing before dark set in? Yeah, we believe every word of that story. Tell us the truth, the photos are from another trip right?

Seriously, nice fish and cool snake. I haven't seen a rattler in the park but would like to some day (from a safe distance of course).

Jeff
Jeff,

I am nearly offended by your thought that I would do something with a pretty young lady that I met for the first time in the middle of Smokies wilderness My only regret was that I didn't have a tent, sleeping bag and BIG ole bottle of bubbly

Neal
Old 07-12-2010, 03:21 PM

It took me over 3 1/2 hours to hike out from 53 to Newfound Gap Road last weekend. It got to the point that I was taking a break every 200 yards. It really gave me a wake up call as to my physical condition. I too shall return one day in much better shape to climb that mountain again!
Old 07-12-2010, 03:29 PM

Shaggy,

I work as a forester, keeps me in half decent shape for a nearly 50 yr. old. I don't have the wind I used to have due to two bouts of severe pneumonia several years ago. Actually, it's my knees and ankles that slow me down the most, especially ankles that were pretty sore on Sunday. I will keep going till I can't do it anymore, can't imagine what life would be like if I couldn't fish the mountain streams.

Neal
Old 07-12-2010, 03:57 PM

Cool pics. Maybe one day I'll have a hottie camp neighbor.

That must be a rough hike out. #60 to #59 just about killed me.