Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 07-14-2010, 12:54 PM

Default New to Fly Fishing

I have been an avid fisherman my entire life (grew up on the big pigeon fishing for smallmouth) and have trout fished a good deal on spin tackle for the past 10 years, but I am new to fly fishing. I decided to give it a try at the urgings of my brother-in-law (who doesn't fish that much). Well, after 5 trips, and only 9 trout, I am addicted. I have found it to be much easier than I expected, although there is still room for MUCH improvement, haha. I count it as a positive when I manage to only hook three trees per trip .

I have read Jim Casada's book on fly fishing the Smokies from cover to cover and have found it to be a tremendous resource for my new-found addiction. I hope to learn more from this board, as I am sure I will have a gluttony of questions for you guys since my brother-in-law is only a casual fly fisherman who relies on his uncle for information.

I feel that any introduction is half-empty without some brief personal info, so I am 26 years old, married and have two little boys, ages 4 (this one is fishing crazy) and 2. I live in Newport, TN, manage a small hotel in Gatlinburg and am an English major at The University of Tennessee (yes, my plate is full and yes, I do somehow find plenty of time to fish). After undergrad I plan to pursue my masters in English and teach writing and literature courses at the community college level. I also do some freelance writing on the side (my dream gig is to be an outdoor writer).

Now that I have introduced myself in my typical long-winded fashion, I am glad that I found this board and hope to be able to learn from and contribute to this forum.

Derek
Old 07-14-2010, 04:55 PM

Derek,
Welcome.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:36 PM

Welcome to the board

"We try to be perfect, but we're only fishermen. We wade out into the water, we don't walk on top of it."
Old 07-15-2010, 10:09 AM

Derek,

Full plate indeed! I am amazed you have time to fish, I found time to fish as an undergrad but not as much as I wanted, and I didn't have a family. I have some buddies who through pictures and or writing skills have gotten themselves published in some of the premiere fly fishing rags. Keep at it, it will happen, and let us know when it does.

-Dan
Old 07-15-2010, 12:35 PM

Thanks for the welcomes, guys.

Danny, I do not work as much during the semester (2-4 days per week). So, that provides more opportunities to fish. I see you're from Knoxville; are you a UTK alum?
Old 07-16-2010, 01:24 PM

Welcome! Glad to have new folks join in on the fun and fishing.