Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Website and Message Board

Old 08-08-2010, 02:53 PM

Default Today's Fishing Report

Byron,

I like the idea of a lower speed limit, but may I suggest that a "fisherman's lane" be implemented as well? Have a lane in the middle where we can drive fast when we are on our way to go fishing...or perhaps this lane should be in a tunnel under the road so it isn't bothering anyone... Oh, and may I suggest a speed limit on this lane of 75 mph? It only needs to be open going towards the mountains. When leaving the mountains after a fishing trip, I always drive really really slowly since I'm sad about having to leave. In fact, I only drive fast when I'm on my way to go fishing. Much thanks for considering this very important idea...

Sincerely,

"In A Hurry to Fish"
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 08-08-2010, 03:25 PM

I'll go ahead and start saving for the tickets I'm bound to incur.

jasonkelkins at yahoo dot com
Old 08-08-2010, 06:51 PM

David,

My thoughts are similar to yours. I still have at least an hours drive to the Smokies, 1 1/2 hrs is common, more to get to the NC side. I am in a hurry to get there, but I try to obey the speed limits. Going home I take it easy as well, I am usually relaxed/tired from the days fishing and in no hurry to get back to Mayanardville

Neal
Old 08-08-2010, 07:28 PM

It's not the people doing 45 that are the problem. It's the jerks going 65 through town. In April Daniel and I were in town for a few days. We were pulling out of the parking lot at Doc's Mote. Some jerk going at least 60 came flying up behind me, locked up his brakes and swerved, gave ME a dirty look and resumed his speed on toward the park. Don't know if it was a local or not, it was a white Ford pickup with Tennessee plates and the guy driving looked to be in his late 20's or early 30's. Daniel and I just looked at each other and went on up to the park to go fishing.

In that same trip, we also saw 2 motorcycle accidents in the park. Both were on rain slick roads and both were in curves. I didn't see either accident happen and neither case did it appear anyone was seriously injured, but given the rain and location of the accidents, I would seriously guess excess speed for conditions contributed to the wrecks. One of the wrecks had a ranger already on the scene and the other had 3 or 4 cars stopped with folks helping so there was no need for us to stop but both riders were standing next to the downed bike so I don't think there were serious injuries involved.

I know there are a lot of bikers out there and I believe some of the guys here are riders. Be careful out there. For me, I want some steel between my face and whatever I'm about to hit.

Jeff
Old 08-09-2010, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnles1 View Post
In that same trip, we also saw 2 motorcycle accidents in the park. Both were on rain slick roads and both were in curves. I didn't see either accident happen and neither case did it appear anyone was seriously injured, but given the rain and location of the accidents, I would seriously guess excess speed for conditions contributed to the wrecks. One of the wrecks had a ranger already on the scene and the other had 3 or 4 cars stopped with folks helping so there was no need for us to stop but both riders were standing next to the downed bike so I don't think there were serious injuries involved.

I know there are a lot of bikers out there and I believe some of the guys here are riders. Be careful out there. For me, I want some steel between my face and whatever I'm about to hit.

Jeff
Probably a combination of inexperience on twisty roads, rain, and speed. A lot of the cruiser wrecks I wouldn't consider speed related as most of them are going under or at the speed limit. A lot of them just don't have the experience on a twisty road to be able to maintain posted speed limits or curve advisory limits. Inexperience is a big issue around here though. We draw a lot of out of towners with very little twisty road experience when we have some of the most technical roads in the country.

If it's a sportbike, yeah it's probably speed related, no doubt about it.

As for the speed limit. The US321 section should stay as is being a 4 lane/turn lane US highway. 45 mph is probably the suggested engineer rating for that section and that would make sense. I could see the stop light all the way to the speed limit drop in the park going to 35 though. Maybe get river road and old 73 connected all the way along the river as an option for slow vehicles like electrics.