Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Website and Message Board

Old 08-19-2010, 07:28 PM

Default Support for Trey :) Air Force progression

Hey guys and girls,

For those who have seen me and my posts, you know that I'm joining the Air Force. I'm 19 and will be 20 soon, and figured out in 2 semesters that college isn't my cup of tea... yet.

So for many months I've been researching and trying to get in shape, and now I've finally taken the steps to get this ball rolling. I tried for 2 weeks to get into the recruiter's office with no luck. It was always locked with nobody inside. My dad's friend is an ex Air Force recruiter and called a few people to get me scheduled for a meeting. He did some serious tongue lashing because I got an appointment scheduled in the next 2 days.

I had my first meeting with the recruiter on Tuesday (8/17). Since I already knew what to expect, the meeting was very easy on both the recruiter and me. My dad's friend called the recruiter's superior's SUPERIOR. I didn't know that. So the recruiter bumped me to the top of the list. For processing and shipping off to Basic, he said it would be 9-12 months. Since I was bumped, processing took 2 weeks and I'll be gone in 4-6 months.

He asked what I scored on the ASVAB, and I said I had only taken a pretest. So he sat me down and I took another pretest for him to see, and I got a 79, which will more than likely be a low-80s on the real test, which will qualify me for any job I want.

I decided that I wanted to be Security Forces (AF version of Army Military Police), and with my ASVAB score it will be a shoo in. I just know I want to be Law Enforcement, I think K9 Handler would be ideal.

In celebration of my first meeting, my dad took me to the gun range and rented an AR15 and let me run 60 rounds through it. Also shot his .40 cal H&K USP Compact and my family heirloom .22.

I went to my 2nd meeting today (8/19) and went over premedical documents. During the middle of the meeting, he gets a phone call that I kinda tuned out, but I heard a few swear words and a lot of excitement. He hangs up, gives me a funny look, and says "What are you doing Monday?" "Nothing, why?" "You want to go to a Titans game?"

You're kidding?! YES! All I've got to do is work the Air Force booth for 3 hours beforehand and watch the game after. I'm so excited!

ASVAB test on Tuesday (8/24).

The reason for this thread is because I enjoy your support, it motivates me and gives me strength. Nothing makes me glow more than hearing someone saying they're proud of me or thanking me for doing what others won't. It will also help me keep track of time, and when it comes time, I'd love to get letters from all of you when I'm at Basic.

Thanks,
Trey Nichols
Old 08-19-2010, 09:32 PM

Trey,

Best of luck - this is a bold decision and I know your family must be very proud. We'll all be intersted in tracking your progress so stay in touch. Just look for a base near a trout stream!

His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me.
bartonca@hotmail.com
Old 08-20-2010, 12:32 AM

Trey,
Best of luck. I'm very happy for you and like nvr2l8 said, I'm sure your parents are very proud (as you should also be). Please do keep us posted on your progress.
Jeff
Old 08-20-2010, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Best of luck, Trey. We'll all be pulling for you, buddy!

Paula
Old 08-21-2010, 10:41 AM

Best Wishes Trey. Thank you for your service to our country.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:42 PM

Thanks guys This is what I do it for.

Titans game today. Leaving here at 2:15, getting to the recruiter's office at 3:00, working the Air Force trailer/games until kickoff, then we get to watch the game.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:01 PM

Been awhile since I've updated. I still don't know anything new, going to call the recruiter tomorrow to find out some hopefully new information.

But today I bought myself an early birthday gift. I got $500 back from college that I'd forgotten about, had a $150 budget from my parents (that's what they spent for my brother's birthday), so I added in $100 of my own money and picked this baby up.

Happy as can be haha!

My first firearm. It'll be good to get some more practice on the M16 platform before basic.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worrgamesguy View Post
Been awhile since I've updated. I still don't know anything new, going to call the recruiter tomorrow to find out some hopefully new information.

But today I bought myself an early birthday gift. I got $500 back from college that I'd forgotten about, had a $150 budget from my parents (that's what they spent for my brother's birthday), so I added in $100 of my own money and picked this baby up.

Happy as can be haha!

My first firearm. It'll be good to get some more practice on the M16 platform before basic.
I am happy for you bud and I hope the roads of life lead you where you want to go. It is hard to figure out what you want to do for the rest of your life at your age. It took me a few years and a few set-backs too to find my path. I am proud of your choice to try and serve the Air Force. It is a very honorable profession and a great stepping stone to other opportunities.

I suggest you write down on a piece of paper a simple diagram of where you want to be in the next five-years and draw/write out the steps to get there...I know that may sound silly; but, it helps me to visualize things at times.

Also, go to your local library and read everything you can about Air Force Training and Operations. Get yourself a step ahead and learn before you have to learn. This proactive approach will help you stand out and will help you succeed in the long-run.

Best Wishes!
Shawn Madison
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 09-27-2010, 08:41 PM

Worrgamesguy--I would like to echo what MadisonBoats said and add a few thoughts. (1) Keep a diary of some kind--written, on a computer, saved on a flash drive, or whatever. I can't tell you how often and how much I regret not having created some record of the years of my life which you are now entering. (2) Take some time, once a year, to see where you are and where you need to go in the five-year plan Shawn mentions, and (3) Read not only the military manuals he mentions--just read--period. You'll always be learning and books are a friend which will never desert you. Finally--good luck!
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 09-28-2010, 05:06 AM

Trey,

Not that you will need to, but just in case: Always know where cover is nearby. Not a tent with thin cloth walls (that's concealment and won't stop shrapnel/bullets), but real cover: A hole in the ground, an armored vehicle, a pile of sand bags...something solid. Start noticing these things around you in training and if you ever go to the big sand box you will be prepared. A bush won't stop anything, but a tree will. Clean your weapon a lot. Keep the bolt lightly oiled too...especially in the desert. Always know where you are on a map. Save your money in the bank while others are out partying. One day, you may want to buy something substantial (like a house or land) and you'll have the money instead of having drank it all up.

BRF