Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 10-24-2010, 01:55 PM

Default Stream Crossing Signs...

This is a fictitious image.

Stream crossing road signs apparently do not exist in the Park.
Would it be good to have such signs? ... or not so much?

Last edited by JoeFred; 10-24-2010 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: Added "roads"
Old 10-24-2010, 05:23 PM

Fred--I assume you mean signs for roads crossing streams, as opposed to trails. There wouldn't be all that many road signs, since there aren't that many roads in/through the Park. On the other hand, trail crossings exist in great number. I seem to have vauge memories of a few trail crossing signs when I was a kid, and I know some of the creeks had signs at trail heads saying things such as "15 fords". Many of the fords also had names. On Deep Creek, for example, 1st Ford, 2nd Ford, Deep Ford, Perry Gap Bend Ford. Of course all of those are gone, thanks to trail changes.
I personally don't know that such information would mean much to road travelers, although you never know. On Friday a van full of Japanese pulled up to me above the "Million Dollar Bridge" on Straight Fork and insisted they could go on up the one-way road from Heintooga Overlook the wrong way to get to Mingo Falls. I finally dissuaded them--language was a big problem--and told them they had passed the turnoff for Mingo Falls a good many miles back down on the Big Cove Road. Obviously they could have used some signs, although there are small signs indicating the turn for Mingo Falls and a big one saying Mingo Falls Campground. This isn't the Park but is on the reservation, but it's indicative of the problem. When the guy didn't understand "hard surface" or "pavement," I knew he was in trouble. I wonder if they ever found the falls, although I did get them convinced not to go to Heintooga the wrong way.
Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 10-24-2010, 07:34 PM

Yes, Jim, I meant signs for roads crossing streams. Thanks. I edited the post to clarify.

Here are streams crossed traveling north on US 441: Mingus Cr, Couches Cr, Collins Cr, Cliff Br, Kanati Fk, Wild Cherry Br, Walker Camp Pr, Trout Br, Cole Cr, W Pr Little Pigeon R, Steep Br, Hickory King Br, Critter Br, Sugarland Br, & Twomile Br.

JF
Old 10-24-2010, 09:02 PM

Fred--I don't know if it matters, but several of those are mere trickles which don't hold trout. It will be interesting to see what others think or whether it matters one way or the other.
Jim Casada
Old 10-24-2010, 09:29 PM

Yes, that's true. Personally, I think their names and history behind them is best discovered by means other than signs.

JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 10-25-2010 at 04:26 AM..
Old 10-25-2010, 03:24 AM

I think the park has enough signs, already. Campground signs, road signs, trail signs, traffic signs and esp. those lovely " Here's how we're spending money your great grandkids will have to somehow come up with..." signs( which will hopefully be gone soon.) The Park service offers maps with all the trails and creek names. It wouldn't kill people to put forth a little effort if they want to know the stream names.

my 2