Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Meet the New Members > New Members Board

Old 01-07-2011, 03:15 PM

Default New member, old fisherman

Hello everyone! My name is Rick Whitefeather. I 'm 64 years young and have been fly fishing since I was 9 years old. The trout bug bit me back then when it jumped off the cover page of a Field and Stream magazine showing a big Bow coming out from under a log, chasing a red and white streamer. I've been chasing him every since. I still have the first fly rod I ever owned that I bought from earnings from a paper route. Bought it at a local hardware store for $4.37. True Temper, 8 1/2 foot fiberglass, medium action. Still use it in the GSMNP on occassion, when I visit a couple of times a year, Spring and Fall. It's saw over twenty years of action on various rivers and streams in Colorado, Utah, Montana, and Wyoming and more so elsewhere. I'm strictly a Blue Ridge mountain fly fisherman now.

I've been coming to this forum for many, many, years and decided to join when I read a thread about fly fishing in the park back around the end of December. Thanks to Paula, I am now able to post. Paula, hope you are feeling better and over your illness!

It's nice to be here!

Blue skies, warm winds, and trout filled waters to all!

Rick
Old 01-07-2011, 03:18 PM

Welcome, whitefeather. Good to have you aboard.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:35 PM

Thanks Stana Claus!

There are three days in the life of a fisherman that are his happiest. The day he gets his boat, the day he gets rid of his boat, and the next time he goes fly fishing!

Rick

Blue skies, warm winds, and trout filled waters to all!
Old 01-08-2011, 05:49 PM

Hello
Looking forward to the wisdom of your posts
Old 01-09-2011, 12:10 PM

Default Fishing Wisdom

Streamhound

Thanks for the compliment! I'm not sure about the wisdom part, so I'll stick to what I have experienced.

I've put in a lot of time flyfishing Western waters, especially Colorado. After I first fished Blue Ridge waters in North Carolina and Tennessee back in 2004, I immediately noticed that Eastern trout were much harder to catch. It seems those bows and cuts in Colorado were by far easier to catch, in that, they would always go for a dry fly and and come out from the farthest distances to strike it. You could really anticpate the strike although they were just as quick. After getting skunked fishing the park the first few times I thought that I had completely forgotten what to do, just couldn't hook up with a fish. But that turned out to be a blessing in disguise because it forced me to try nymphing again, which I had long forgotten since my younger years. Much better success. And I suppose that just reflects on how the fish take their food most of the time. I have yet to see a really good hatch, except for midges which the trout were pretty much ignoring. But that's probably due to a timing issue on my part with the trips.

Last October I fished one of my favorite spots and it was full of some big Brookies (by far my favorite) bottom feeding, but they wouldn't take any of my nymphs, so I ended up fishing some streamers and caught several 14 inch brookies. I did see one from a high point that was huge and on a redd I believe, the way it acted. I tried a huge Bass streamer, dropping it near the redd and slowly pulling it toward the fish. Four times, that Brookie picked it up ever so slightly and moved it out it the current and dropped it, much to my disappointment, but still evoking a smile on my face. Nothing better than fly fishing in my book, even on a day when the fish skunk me. Just being out there is something only another fly fisherman can understand and truly appreciate.

Whitefeather