Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fishing Classic Rods and Gear

Old 03-17-2011, 03:05 PM

Default South Bend 346

I just received a 346 SB and found some good info on this forum regarding it in the previous thread. The rod has been sitting in the basement for quite some time and I am very confident that it has not been used in at least 40 years. That makes be concerned in terms of the strength and viability of using it as is. It won't be my rod of choice but it is something that I would like to get out once in awhile in a sentimental way. I would like to do more than just put it up on a wall as a display. All the guides are there and the ferrules look okay. I think it came with two tip but one is broke. If I can pull together some money in the next few months, I would like to try to get the rod refinished/refurbished. Can anyone point me in a direction of where to find someone who might be able to do this type of work? Thanks
Old 03-17-2011, 06:36 PM

There are many folks that re-do rods. One source that I have used is clarksclassicflyrod forum. There will be folks at the Troutfest that can help you also.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:49 AM

Thanks. I am gonna try to make it to TF this year, but that will depend on the kids little league schedule as I am coaching one and helping coah the other. Thanks for the info on the other forum, knowing nothing about the types of rod, I will need help with it and will check it out this weekend.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
I just received a 346 SB and found some good info on this forum regarding it in the previous thread. The rod has been sitting in the basement for quite some time and I am very confident that it has not been used in at least 40 years. That makes be concerned in terms of the strength and viability of using it as is. It won't be my rod of choice but it is something that I would like to get out once in awhile in a sentimental way. I would like to do more than just put it up on a wall as a display. All the guides are there and the ferrules look okay. I think it came with two tip but one is broke. If I can pull together some money in the next few months, I would like to try to get the rod refinished/refurbished. Can anyone point me in a direction of where to find someone who might be able to do this type of work? Thanks

Hoosier,

"Sitting in the basement" wouldn't affect the strength or integrity of the rod blank, unless it was in a very, very dry environment, (usually not the case in a basement), but might have had some detrimental effect on the wrappings, guide, and ferrule glue. Not a big deal.

I've restored a number of old rods for other folks and myself. It depends on how much restoration you want and what kind of expense you want to invest. Whether original looking restoration or just dependable restoration for use and what kind of condition the rod is in, as in any cracks in the blank walls, or "bruises" in the fiberglass.

Usually a full strip down is desirable on a rod that old, with all new wrappings, glue, finish, etc. The ferrules and guides can be re-used if desired or replaced. If the ferrules are not loose when the wrappings, if present, are removed, then they won't be a problem. If they are, they are easy to remove and re-glue.

Since your forum name is "Hoosier", do you live in Indiana and what town?
I live in Bean Blossom, Brown County.

-don't tell me why we can't, tell me how we can.- whitefeather
Old 04-20-2011, 12:41 PM

Whitefeather

Yup, sitting here in the Evansville area. Thanks for the reply. I think for the most part it is sound. I don't see any cracks or real wear. The ferules and guides are okay, but I would feel better about having them redone. Apparantly there were 2 tip sections at one time because one is broke. If I am gonna have it done I think I will likely opt for the full strip down. I checked around that clarksclassicflyrod forum and there seemed to be a wealth of info there. It is a sentimental rod more than anything, I guess that is what makes it worth it, in my opinion.