Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 07-31-2011, 12:53 PM

Default Kelty Grand Mesa 2 Question

I am looking for a 2-person backpacking tent for my son and I to use. He is 3-yrs old and I hope to get him into the backcountry early next year. I have found a great deal on a new 2011 model Kelty Grand Mesa 2. Footprint seems to be on par with the competition, and the weight is lighter than some of the higher priced models @ 4.0 lbs (min weight) & 4.6 lbs (packed weight). The only down side that I can see is that it only has a single vestibule, and it is pretty small at that. However, with a young child I don't expect it to be very cramped inside, so we could use some of that space instead of the vestibule.

Just curious if anybody on here has and feedback for me before committing to purchase it. By the way, I have an opportunity to buy it for 50% off, but only until Tuesday. So, it sounds to me like for $79 it is the way to go.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 07-31-2011, 03:19 PM

Default Good buy

Can't beat it for the money! Good ventilation and not too heavy. I have slept in mine 5 times last year with my 10 yr old son. Since I am 6'2", it is a little tight with not much room for gear. I paid $100 for mine last year without the footprint. We have used it at below freezing temps with a good sleeping bag, but it's definitely a 3 season tent. Hope that helps some

Curtis

Old 07-31-2011, 07:09 PM

This is not entirely the same tent as I have, but I am very happy with my Kelty Teton 2. It appears to be pretty similar to yours but shaped differently.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:27 AM

Travis, I'll admit that I'm quick to be a naysayer about cheap(er) tents, but this one looks like a good buy. I'm impressed with the weight, Hydrostatic head test (1800mm), and the poles you can get at this price. Not crazy about the single entrance/vestibule, but, I don't think you can go wrong with it at this price.

I've got a Kelty Vortex 2 that I've had since 1999 and it has been a great tent, and still sees occasional use. Treated the floor with a silicone treatment this year, and will probably seam seal the rain fly soon, and fully expect it to be good as new.

Good find.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:09 PM

Travis I would say yes I also have a Kelty Teton 2 (4lbs) works great when I have backpacked with my son who is 5. Has held up well over the last 2 years. I paid $100 for it. Now if I could go back in time I would just save up another $100 and buy a henry shires tarptent like the Moment which is roomier and weighs only like 1.5 lbs packed but is much more expensive at $215.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 08-01-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannyknot View Post
Travis, I'll admit that I'm quick to be a naysayer about cheap(er) tents, but this one looks like a good buy. I'm impressed with the weight, Hydrostatic head test (1800mm), and the poles you can get at this price. Not crazy about the single entrance/vestibule, but, I don't think you can go wrong with it at this price.

I've got a Kelty Vortex 2 that I've had since 1999 and it has been a great tent, and still sees occasional use. Treated the floor with a silicone treatment this year, and will probably seam seal the rain fly soon, and fully expect it to be good as new.

Good find.
That was my concern as well. After learning my lesson with with lower quality fishing gear and camera gear, I have turned into somebody who generally believes you get what you pay for. However, I thought the statistics for this tent just sounded really good. Got a look at an older version today, same footprint and vestibule, just updated fabric and a little lighter. I think that single small vestibule will come back to haunt me when the little guy isn't so little.

I think I will just hold off for now and wait for an end of year sale and pounce on a good deal. Don't need it anytime soon, so may as well take my time and wait for something better to go on sale.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler