Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Salmon and Steelhead

Old 08-28-2011, 01:56 PM

Default Back from Alaska

Left out August 10th with a close friend of mine for 2 weeks of sight seeing and road fishing. We had a blast, was Tom's first time up and he was amazed how big the place is. The fishing didn't pan out as well as I had hoped due to the streams being blown out from all the rain, but we still caught plenty! Was my first time on the Russian and we could have spent a week there alone, that place is amazing! We caught our limit of "chromers" every time out, but you can't hardly keep the "tomatoes" off to fish...... what a problem to have. Glad I decided on taking a 9wt, it sure helped in the crowded sections. Well, here are some pics.

Tom with a Humpy from Willow Creek

The Russian...... fish on!

Me with a "Tomato"

Nice brown that visited us

The Silvers weren't in like I had hoped, but we did manage to catch some fresh ones on a trip out of Seward. When we got into them, it was fast and furious! Silvers in the air, in the boat, lines tangled, it was nuts. Finished that day up with limits of silvers, halibut, rockfish, and lingcod.

I'll try and post some pics. of the trip over on the "Photo" section of the board.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:06 PM

Default Back from Alaska

Good report with pics.
The Russian is awesome when the Red are running.
Did you get the opportunity to fish either the Kenai or Quartz creek?

Do I notice that you were packing some personal protection.
If so, wise choice on the Russian.

Look forward to more pics.
Old 08-28-2011, 03:11 PM

Shannon,

Sounds and looks like you had an awesome Alaska trip. You'll have to come by the shop and tell me about it.

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than on any city on earth"
- Steve McQueen
Old 08-28-2011, 04:36 PM

ir.......... We had planned on a few drifts down the Kenai, but Tom is more comfortable with spin gear and I couldn't get him off the Russian. lol We did camp at Quartz creek and gave it a shot the following morning, nothing went right for us so I decided we should go on down to the Russian in an attempt to salvage the day. The Quartz was on fire though, double digits on the Dollies was what I was hearing. I sure didn't want to leave, guess that leaves a good excuse for next years trip.

Yep. Was packing a 500, but Tom had the bear spray and that would have been our first choice. The 500 just allowed me to enjoy the fishing more, not use to the big browns yet. Over kill I'm sure, but hey..... I like new toys.

Ethan......... We had a great trip, thanks for all the help and advice that you shared with me. I'm thinking a week next year just for the Copper Landing area!?!? I'll stop in next time up, need to talk waders with you guys anyways.
Old 08-28-2011, 08:40 PM

looks as if you had some LARGE competition for the fish in one photo. If I saw that that close, first i would soil my britches and second I would give him the spot. wow makes smoky mountain black bears look like nothing at all.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:23 PM

Fishing Alaska is definately on the bucket list. Nice pics. Makes me want to go even more.

Jeff