Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 09-03-2011, 04:01 PM

Default Tough fishing on lower Clinch

Finally made it to the "jail" section of the Clinch today. Haven't been there since around June.
Had a hook break on a big fish that I never layed eyes on.
Caught 3-4 stockers and had to work hard for those.
Anybody doing well down there? Rodney?

4X
Old 09-03-2011, 05:40 PM

4X,

I had planned on getting out on the lower river today, until I had a rough night with the new baby and hay fever. Been a few months since I have last fished the Clinch, and I was anxious to get out there this morning. May try to hit it up on Monday, depending on whether there is any electricity in the expected showers.

From the sound of your post it sounds like I didn't miss much.

If I get out there I will report back on my trip.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 09-03-2011, 10:19 PM

I fished it last Sunday, and quite frankly it was nearly impossible. I spent around 4 hours on the river and landed 4, stuck and lost maybe 6 others.

This is going to sound incredibly arrogant, but as a general rule if I spend 4 hours in the water I did, with the water conditions which were present I can easily average 25-30 fish per trip landed, and half again that number stuck and lost.

This is the second time in 2 weeks I have had this experience, and have just decided it has it out for me, and am refusing to go back like a child.

The fish are there, but figuring out what they want to eat, is baffling this Clinch veteran. I have talked with several other old hands that have gotten their azz handed to them as well in the last few weeks, so it must be contagious.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:25 AM

Yeah, makes me want to go to the Henry's Fork where the fishing's easy!
Fishing above the weir has been good but TVAs only giving small windows to fish there.

4X
Old 09-04-2011, 11:47 PM

Oh booo whooo! You bunch of cry babies. They are there, you just have to know what to use. Those corn flys and san jaun worms are killin' them!

I don't know how the river has been for the past couple of weeks, but 3 weeks ago, it was on fire. My buddy Wilson landed is biggest yet, and he seen backing once on another nice one. Like ol' wolf said a 3-4 hour trip is a 20+ day and missing that many more. Well this has been the case for the last 4 trips for me and Wilson. I'm going in the morning drive up and down the river you may see my truck. I'm not saying where I have been fishing but those of you that know what I drive. Look for my truck and come on out. I will say this we have found that they aren't eatting the 18's this summer. You need to be fishing the same flys but drop down to a 20 or 22.

Good luck and hope to see you guys out there.
Old 09-05-2011, 08:39 AM

That's interesting......I touched 10 on Saturday and lost 3 really good fish after long runs because my usually reliable terminal knot broke all three times. I guess my Seaguar has gone bad.

Oh yeah. All on one pattern and #18 at that. But granted, it was slow and low where I was. I really like a good wind to get things going.

PS...you don't do an overnight soak in Green Giant do you prior to fishing the next day?