Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 01-16-2012, 10:47 PM

Default Blueline rod.... 2wt/3wt? Length?

Been wanting to set up a new rod/reel for the smaller speck waters, been using a 5wt 8'6". Kinda leaning towards a 2wt in a 7'6", hate to loose too much length as far as dabbling goes, but it gets cramped quick with the 8'6" I now use. So..... thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Shannon

Last edited by Knik; 01-17-2012 at 12:13 AM.. Reason: ???
Old 01-16-2012, 11:17 PM

Hey Shannon there have been some good debates on the site in the past over rod length in laurel thick small mountain streams. Here is a good thread from a couple of years back:
http://littleriveroutfitters.com/for...ad.php?t=14122

I still mostly fish with a longer rod in those conditions and do just fine but granted I haven't tried it with a 7 ft rod. I do have a 7ft eagle claw that I was going to test on maybe next year. See I can't use it yet I am saving it for my sons birthday in August. Then I will commandeer it for a test run if he agrees.

I was fishing way up straight fork last year and ran into a fellow coming thru the rhodo with a very short fly rod. In fact the shortest I had ever seen. I swear it must have been like 5 ft. It looked beat up and customized maybe from a broken rod or something. I don't see how he used it and wished I had inquired more. We were about a mile above the million dollar bridge way in the boonies. I was getting out and he was getting in so all was good. He said he starts there and fishes way up the stream for miles to where it gets super steep. He was a local too but most locals I have seen that have fished for a long time use long rods even when going into places like this. The thought that you have to have a shorter rod for bushwhacking laurel covered streams seems to be a newer phenom generally I have found but not always. I personally have been caught in rhodo hells in creeks so thick that to move forward or backward I had to thread my rod through a small opening then push through or under it myself just to get 2 feet forward retrieving my rod and repeating over and again. In situations like that really 7'6 versus 8'6 rod length doesn't make any difference at all.

I think the best answer is try both and see what you think but don't make the mistake of just trying it once. Stick with each method for a couple of months that will give you a better comparison. If you want to go small as a test you can get those Eagle claw 7' featherlight fly rods for very cheap like $25 then you can see if you really like that better before spending more.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 01-17-2012, 12:11 AM

Thanks Adam for taking the time to chime in, I'll make sure to check out the thread that you mention above. As far as going the cheaper route first, I had thought about trying a TFO Finesse for starters. Sure wish Orvis made their Super Fine 2wt. in a 7'6".
Old 01-17-2012, 12:12 PM

FWIW, I built a Sevier Tigereye rod specifically for the park and small streams in east TN. It is 2 piece, 6 ft., 2/3 wt. I got a 2 wt DT line on sale at LRO (I'm cheap). Throws the best loops of all my flyrods. I was looking at a 5 ft. blank but got a good deal on the 6 ft. blank. Prior to the 2 wt., I used a 7 ft. 5 wt. Too heavy for me for that type of fishing.
Old 01-17-2012, 12:33 PM

My favorite light weight rod is a Beulah, Classic series, 3 wt, 7'-6".

http://www.beulahflyrods.com/product...lassic-series/
Old 01-17-2012, 04:14 PM

Based purely on personnel preference...

I have fished everything with a 9' 4wt. for about all the years that I've been into fly fishing. While this has been limited mainly to trout and smaller fish, I have never felt the need to go to another rod. I have since added to my rod selection here recently and while happy to "pick" a rod for the day, I still go back to that 4wt on more park streams than you would think. I did break down and buy a 7' 4pc rod expecting it would be a really great small stream rod and to be honest, it has become an awesome bluegill rod! In the mountains it just didn't do it for me and I actually find my 7'9" is pushing it regarding how much rod length I am comfortable with and often want more. However, I have never had any issues fishing even the smallest park streams with it. Also something to think about is that as you go shorter, you often end up gaining "stiffness" which may or may not be desirable when fishing really small waters for small trout. At least that is what I experienced when I gave my 7' a go...

Tight Lines,
Old 01-22-2012, 09:03 PM

Thanks guys for all the input, I really like to hear others thoughts and reasoning before making a purchase.

I did a google search on the 2wt. Super Fine and found a few comments and pics. that kinda threw me off. The guy posted a pick of a Super Fine with the "cork and ring" set up, instead of the normal reel seat. I can't find where Orvis offers the cork and ring on the Super Fine, have only seen it on the Ion. Maybe the guy had a prototype or something, but I really like the cork and ring set up, wish it was offered in the Super Fine.

Thanks again
Old 01-23-2012, 04:19 PM

I believe what you have seen is the older model of the Orvis Superfine...their 2wt was marketed originally under the name One Ounce....I own one of these rods and fish it whenever I can get it away from my son....these rods show up with some regularity on eBay and are offered at some very reasonalbe prices...these are full flex rods and are a pleasure to fish those small streams with....good luck.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knik View Post
Thanks guys for all the input, I really like to hear others thoughts and reasoning before making a purchase.

I did a google search on the 2wt. Super Fine and found a few comments and pics. that kinda threw me off. The guy posted a pick of a Super Fine with the "cork and ring" set up, instead of the normal reel seat. I can't find where Orvis offers the cork and ring on the Super Fine, have only seen it on the Ion. Maybe the guy had a prototype or something, but I really like the cork and ring set up, wish it was offered in the Super Fine.

Thanks again
Knik...just looked on ebay and there is a brand new One Ounce with the cork and ring seat up for sale...even has the warranty...take a look.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:46 PM

If you can't find a graphite 2-3wt that you like, try a fiberglass rod. Great soft action to make those small bows and brookies feel like a trophy. You can generally find a lamiglass honey for around $100. I have two that I fish regularly. Diamondglass makes a very nice 8'6" 4wt if your looking for one with some length to high stick small nymphs. I've heard you won't find a smoother dry fly rod. Both my lamis have the cork and ring hardware.

Joe Cornwall wrote a good article on the great 2 wt shootout a couple of years ago. There is a forum also for fishing with 3 wts and under. most of those guys lke to share info. on the rods.

http://www.flyfishohio.com/2-Weight_...ew_Summary.htm

http://ultralightflyfishing.yuku.com/