Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-22-2012, 11:34 PM

Default No fish, but a good weekend in Cherokee

Fish or no fish, I had a great time hanging out with everyone. I never got the skunk off the entire trip. So no fish pics for me.
Friday afternoon on the Oconoluftee...

I wonder why they call them the smoky mountains?

Only one person caught a fish in the trophy water, a nice 20" rainbow

Friday night activities..

A few decided to pass time tying flies...

Saturday was rainy crappy weather that finished off what fishable water wasn't ruined by Friday's rain.....but we still tried to fish Deep Creek by the lodge

A few guys caught several 10-12" rainbows. But most of us struck out.

Saturday night was more of the same: drinking, hanging out, and eating good. Grilled amberjack fillets, cocktail sausages, pork loin, boston butt, chili, etc. Woke up Sunday and everybody parted ways. We decided to go up to higher water with hopes that brook trout would cooperate and hopefully the water would be lower and slower around Chimney Tops....

The water was clear, but the rocks were slicker than owl s%#@ and the water was too fast..

I saw a good pool that I just knew would hold a fish....

..but it didn't. Didn't even see one spook off.

The view of the stream from the trail...

We snapped a quick group photo and headed back with the smell of skunk. Had a great time just being outside and hanging out smoking cigars and drinking with the guys. Come spring, I need redemption.........
Old 01-23-2012, 08:15 AM

Man, I good weekend with some friends is always fun! Thanks for sharing your report and pictures.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 01-23-2012, 12:21 PM

Talking

Judging from the second picture, you were well prepared in case the fish didn't cooperate. Just don't get "verschnicken" and try to climb over slick rocks.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:11 PM

Smile Thanks for the report

I hiked up the Chimney's trail on Sunday to the manway up to Suganland mountain trail and out at Huskey gap wife my wife. The water in Walker Camp was still kicking pretty good at a flow just below minimum for boating. Road Prong looked a little lower, and at a level that I have fished it before after a good thunderstorm, but not at a recommended level for good fishing. Glad you guys had a great time despite the lack of good fishing. I think that pool you thought was still enough was just a high water pool. Since it doesn't hold water 90+ percent of the time, it is unlikely you'll find a fish.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
I think that pool you thought was still enough was just a high water pool. Since it doesn't hold water 90+ percent of the time, it is unlikely you'll find a fish.

That makes sense, although not much else happening anywhere else either. The water was nice and clear, but just a little fast. Even for high sticking. Navigating it was more dangerous than the possible reward. So we just called it.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:11 PM

Very cool, Merl.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:22 PM

AL Trout Bum--It's too late now, but unless my old eyes fool me badly, you were within a half mile of where you could almost certianly have caught a few fish. I'm almost certain the waterfall you show emptying into a big stream is Toms Branch Falls on Deep Creek. If so, you could have walked a bit farther, headed up Indian Creek, and likely dealt with rainbows (small though they would have been). It almost always clears up and goes down before Deep Creek and doesn't get a lot of pressure.

It is, however, tight as a miser's purse strings..

Jim Casada
www.jimcasadaoutdoors.com
Old 01-23-2012, 07:37 PM

Default pic 2

According to pic 2 you guys had a great catch. Nice trophies
Old 01-24-2012, 01:55 AM

Deep Creek pic 1. Bridge at the parking lot, completely blown out. Usually a very nice pool there.
Deep Creek 2. That's the upper run on the Talmadge Shuler hole (a bunch of us here at home named it this after my Dad passed away in 2002), it was his favorite stretch on the creek.
Deep Creek pic 3. Jim nailed it! Tom Branch Falls.

I fished there a couple days before you guys, I think on Thursady, and the water temp was a balmy 35 degrees. It was a brutal day.

Jim, I love your desciption of Indian Creek! Tight as a miser's purse strings! Very true. Growing up, Dad and I went into Kenny Lester's in Bryson and bought two
Fenwick fiberglass rods that were 5'3" just for Indian Creek. Half the time I would just use the tip section even then, and still get tangled up rod and all in a laurel bush. lol!
Old 01-24-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.E.Shuler View Post
Deep Creek pic 1. Bridge at the parking lot, completely blown out. Usually a very nice pool there.
Deep Creek 2. That's the upper run on the Talmadge Shuler hole (a bunch of us here at home named it this after my Dad passed away in 2002), it was his favorite stretch on the creek.
Deep Creek pic 3. Jim nailed it! Tom Branch Falls.

I fished there a couple days before you guys, I think on Thursady, and the water temp was a balmy 35 degrees. It was a brutal day.

Jim, I love your desciption of Indian Creek! Tight as a miser's purse strings! Very true. Growing up, Dad and I went into Kenny Lester's in Bryson and bought two
Fenwick fiberglass rods that were 5'3" just for Indian Creek. Half the time I would just use the tip section even then, and still get tangled up rod and all in a laurel bush. lol!

Hotspotters! LOL just kidding. I would love to have been able to see the same area in all its glory with lower water. That's a good trek for me to get up there, so I can't make it often. Oh well, trips like this past one, keeps me going back!