Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-24-2012, 05:32 PM

Default Funny Yallarhammar story

BASS recently modified it rules for their BassMaster Classic and Elite Series tournaments to prohibit the use of the so-called “Alabama Rig” developed a short time back by pro baser, Paul Elias. It is a lure with five trailing wires to which five additional lures can be attached which is believed to create the elusion of a passing school of fish. According to its distracters, this rig drives bass crazy. So far as anyone seems to know it is perfectly legal in most states.
Pro bass Kyle Mabry of Birmingham has developed his own version of the Alabama Rig which he is selling under the name Yellowhammer. That yet another fish slayer so named just struck me as a bite funny by rammer jammer.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:06 PM

Not everyone in Alabama is rammer jammer. Thank God I'm not! I bleed orange and blue til the day I die!
Old 01-24-2012, 10:29 PM

Before you go out and spend your hard earned money on these rigs one should know that there are regulations in TN that could get you some trouble using them.

You can use them with all 5 "arms" ONLY if you have a number 6 or smaller sized hook OR you can use 3 "arms" with hooks larger than number 6 and NOTHING (attrators i.e. spinners) on the remaining 2 "arms".

If you figure out the reasoning behind this please let me know.

Just some friendly FYI. I hate to see anyone give the government any more money than they have to.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNHunt View Post

If you figure out the reasoning behind this please let me know...
Here is a decent video of the chief of fisheries explaining things

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/16514478...nessee-anglers

Has to do with excessive mortality of striped bass.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:16 PM

It was not invented by Paul Elias, he was just the first one to capitalize on it in a major tournament. It actually came about when a guy named Andy Poss modified an umbrella rig to make it cast-able. A week or two after Paul won at Guntersville, Dan Morehead won the Everstart series championship at Ky Lake on it.

I am glad B.A.S.S. banned it from the Elite Series, but wish they would ban it from all of their competitions. I also wish FLW would get on board. There are far too many instances of a bass getting multiple hooks in it from the lures other than the one they are biting.
Old 01-27-2012, 12:49 PM

it does work.........