Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 02-13-2012, 09:38 PM

Default Spring trips

Message board seems to be a little slow. I guess the winter chill set in. That got me thinking of spring trips. Going to the Tellico drainage in April staying at Donley Cabin. I would think that the fish might be looking up with the recent above normal winter don't you think? This is my first trip to area and any advice would help to not get skunked. This board has no PM so if you feel inclined to email any non secret info to ukfb1@yahoo.com

Thanks
Rusty
Old 02-13-2012, 10:10 PM

I'll be interested to see how you do in that area. I keep telling myself that I need to get down that way to fish but so far this winter have not been able to tear myself away from more familiar waters. Hope you have a great trip! April should be a great time to be in the mountains with insects hatching and trout looking up...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 02-14-2012, 09:40 AM

Get a National Geographic trail map of the area. There are several gravel roads and trails that will take you to some of the lesser known streams to fish.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:02 AM

Wink

I will be headed to that area over Easter and camping. We are probably going to car camp along the river road. Right now Holly Flats is winning the race, but I really don't want to deal with other peoples kids so we will hunt some for other sites. It seems like there are too many streams close by that would be good fishing so trying to plan is killing me.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:21 AM

If I was car camping, I would stay at Indian Boundary. Designated sites, management that you can complain too about unruly kids, water, electric, showers, flush toilets, and an awesome lake to fishing in while you're waiting for your coffee to heat up in the morning.

I guess I'm getting soft as I get older. These are all the things I despised just a few years ago.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukfb1 View Post
Going to the Tellico drainage in April staying at Donley Cabin. I would think that the fish might be looking up with the recent above normal winter don't you think?
You will be fine... we go every year the end of March and the bugs are already out. Fishing the North and other rivers in that area is a lot of fun! There is good water just about everywhere and plenty of it. Just like the park, finding bigger fish is the challenge but they are there. You are going to have a beautiful stretch of water right there by the cabin which holds some good fish without even having to drive anywhere...
Just remember that if you decide to go down on the Tellico and fish for those big stockers, you do need to purchase a separate permit.

Tight Lines,