Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 02-25-2012, 05:43 PM

Default Denver in May

Sounds like I am heading to Denver in May for work. I am considering flying out a day or two early and wondered if anyone had any suggestions that woud get me pointed in the right direction. I do not know anything about the area (first time there) but I think I would like to do some small stream fishing similar to what we like about the Smoky's. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Sounds like I am heading to Denver in May for work. I am considering flying out a day or two early and wondered if anyone had any suggestions that woud get me pointed in the right direction. I do not know anything about the area (first time there) but I think I would like to do some small stream fishing similar to what we like about the Smoky's. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Probably will be out of luck for blueline fishing in May. Most people don't start fishing the remote water out there until late June or early July. However, you may be able to hit up one of the world class tailwaters in the area. Depends on the snow pack and timing of the runoff. I have fished out there in late April before, and I always seem to hit it a couple weeks before the heavy flows arrive. So, May could be hit or miss.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 02-27-2012, 10:40 PM

Thanks Travis, I wasn't even thinking about that. I will probably go ahead and plan that (tailwater fishing) then and then if by chance I get lucky with the weather have a plan ready to take advantage.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:07 PM

Come May your best (sure bet) choices will be either the Dream Stream (South Platte between Spinnery and Eleven Mile reservoirs), Eleven Mile Canyon (South Platte below Eleven Mile Reservoir), Cheesman Canyon (South Platte below Cheesman Reservoir), the Colorado near Parshall, Williams Fork (trib to the Colorado, also near Parshall), or the Blue River below Dillon Reservoir (in and just below Silverthorne). By late April or early May everything else is often chocolate milk.

That said, any of the above would be a dream trip even in May.