Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 02-27-2012, 10:49 AM

Default Banner Elk Area 2/26/12

I took my middle daughter up to Banner Elk for Scholar's Day at Lees-Mcrae college. We went up Friday after work, and did not make it in until after midnight. On Saturday we were at the college all day. The weather was cold and very windy (22 with 30-40mph gusts). I brought my fishing gear, becasue I couldn't pass up the opportunity.

I was able to sneak in an hour fishing on Saturday after we got done at the college. I fished a DH section of the Watauga. I caught 1 about 12", quick released another, and missed a couple. It was windy and cold.

I got up on Sunday morning, and the wind had died down. Because of the low temperatures I took my time, and didn't leave until about 9am. It felt nice out without any wind, but it was actually 19 degrees.

I fished for about two hours with a double nymph rig....beadhead PT and a soft hackle. The fishing was actually preety good, I managed to catch over 20 in just under 2 hours. Most were between 11-13 inches and rainbows. I caugt one about 10 inches and one other about 14. I did catch 2 brooks. All were again in a DH section of the watauga. I was really wishing that I didn't have to work on Monday....it has been a while since I was able to get up to the mountains and do any trout fishing. I will post some pictures later when I get them uploaded.

John

Last edited by JohnH0802; 02-27-2012 at 03:09 PM.. Reason: Adding photos
Old 03-14-2012, 11:10 PM

John, guess it's a little different than hunting those big Red's. I don't live far from Banner Elk, just over the state line in East Tennessee. You were nice enough to offer me some advise about fishing the Carolina Coast last summer, so If you're ever up this way again give me a shout and maybe we can float the Watauga and South Holston.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:18 AM

Speed,
Thanks, that is a great offer. I will definitely keep you in mind the next time I get up that way.....too often it is not often enough.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:48 PM

Looks like you had fun. 19 degrees, that's cold.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:09 PM

Sure was nice today. Shirt sleeve weather and only two other fishermen at the Valle Crusis section. Lots of stockers were rising to top water. I put about 12 fish to hand before a thunderstorm brought an end to the fun.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:02 PM

The weather was not as kind to me while I was at Valle Crusis!