Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 03-08-2012, 03:20 PM

Default Little River 3/4/2012

With all the nice weather we have been having here lately I decided that I just needed to get in a little "normal" winter fishing this past weekend... What better time to provide that little extra challenge that nasty weather presents than the tornados and storms that hit TN last weekend. This is also the kind of situation where the die hard anglers come out of the woodwork...

In trying to time a fairly "decent" day weather wise, it looked like this past Sunday was to be the best bet at presenting an opportunity to get out and throw some flies. So with that I headed to the park to meet up with Mattblick and see if we could find some fish. Unfortunately, it ended up being about ten to fifteen degrees colder than I anticipated and we spent most of the day fishing through a snow hatch...

The fish sure didn't seem to mind though and after a slower start in the morning things really picked up. I had more quality fish come to the fly than you would imagine. One of the highlights of the day was watching what was at least a 12"+ rainbow in a nice run hit both Matt's fly and mine twice! Too bad we missed him three times though... All in all it was a great day in the mountains regardless of the colder temps. I had fourteen fish to hand that were all on dries and I think Matt managed to snag around a half dozen... So get out and fish LR if you can because as other reports have said as well, it's on fire even with some snow...

Tight Lines,

A nice little bow...

More of the same...

Things starting to get better... most of the fish looked like this.

And then some of them were looking like this... don't want to even think about the ones I raised/got away that were all of similar size if not bigger...

Last edited by tnflyfisher; 03-08-2012 at 04:07 PM..
Old 03-08-2012, 04:09 PM

Those are some perty GSMNP bows.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:07 PM

They sure were looking nice! It's always interesting seeing the variation on the coloring and markings of these wild fish. Each one is almost like a work of art...

I've got a nice wild bow for you... I'm a little behind on my reports but stay tuned!

Tight Lines,
Old 03-09-2012, 01:22 PM

Default color of your fish

tnflyfisher,
Let me congratulate you on those nice fish and the camera that you used really reflects the colors well. I know that you titled your report little river, but I was thinking that the yellow under colors are what we use to identify the fish from Abrams Creek with. It seems that you see this yellow under belly color a lot on fish from streams that are somewhat alkiline. It brought back some good memories when I looked at each picture and I'm hoping that Abrams has just about recovered from the drought damage.
Hugh
Old 03-09-2012, 01:54 PM

Hugh,

Thanks for the compliments and glad you enjoyed the report!

It is an "oldie" but a good one... In today's digital age a camera from 2003 with only 5mp is considered ancient and a dinosaur but I have been faithful to her all these years. It's like they say, it's not about how many mp you have but how you use them...

All these fish are indeed from LR up above Elkmont. I was not aware of the water ph having an effect on the coloration so that is an interesting tidbit. I have never fished Abrams but would like to one day. I remember reading a recent report from Byron claiming that a couple guys did fairly well there here recently. Hopefully it is on its way to recovery. I have heard of some nice bows in there that I sure would like to meet face to face...

Tight Lines,
Old 03-09-2012, 05:12 PM

Nice fish...man you guys are killing me...KILLING ME!