Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Boats, Canoes and Kayaks

Old 03-13-2012, 04:07 PM

Default guide 119

I finished up my mods a few weeks ago to my canoe and finally was able to take her out for a test float this week.
I changed out the factory seat, added a thru-the-hull anchor system, tackle storage up front, and drybox and rod holders in the aft section. she rides balanced and paddles well.

They make a good affordable fishing platform that are easy to modify and get to those places without having to have a boat ramp to launch.

Old 03-13-2012, 07:52 PM

Hey Gary,

Let me be the first to say, She is Beautiful. I'll look her specs up online. Nice work on the mod. I'm on iPad so words are limited now.

Byron
Old 03-13-2012, 07:53 PM

Nice boat too!

Byron
Old 03-14-2012, 09:27 AM

Gary,
I love what you did with your canoe! The creativity is excellent. I am sure you still get snags if you are fishing from the boat.

An easy fix is to buy some vinyl or a bungee net to stretch out across the beam for your coiled line to rest on. You can make patterns with cardboard to cut the vinyl to fit around the bucket/compartments as well and then add (SS) snaps to the vinyl and side of the boat for removal. It is a cheap, classy, and a easy upgrade for canoes and small boats. Oh; you might need the help of someone who can sew some hems and backing to beef it up. You can sew in some cross-rib slots on the bottom and install flexible plastic strips to help it retain a arched shape for water runoff. I was fortunate; I had some great mentors/co-workers teach me how to design and sew boat patterns. However; sewing is a skill I still struggle to master.
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 03-14-2012, 01:25 PM

Thats a good idea Shawn. right now I am stripping the line into the floor of the canoe and had thought about making a stripping basket to guide the line into. maybe velcro it to the floor between my legs. I had thought originally about making a mesh stripping net like the ones on a pontoon boat but my knees sit higher than the gunnels.

I will have to check with the boat fiberglass repair shop down the road from me in Seymour. He may be able to do upholstery work.

Thanks Byron, many more smallies to come this year!
Old 03-14-2012, 03:38 PM

Gary,
I just purchased a rectangular-bungee cargo net in the auto parts section of my local chain store. I have two metal rings mounted on the underside of my gunnel on each side. The net has fixed end loops at each corner and I just slip the loop inside each ring and pull back down over it for a snug fit. It is easy to set up and take down. Plus; it allows me to lean in to it without destroying it. Works great for $4.
to choose, to respond, to change.”