Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 04-19-2012, 04:04 PM

Default Caney Fork

Has anyone fished Caney Fork lately? Reports? Thoughts?

Thanks,

DBK
Old 04-19-2012, 04:25 PM

Went last Thursday. The six months of nonstop generation appears to have taken its toll. Saw very few rises. The ones that did rise appeared to be good size fish, but the smaller fish (the ones I catch) seemed to be missing. I've read similar reports from others. The water was extremely low since they were not letting any water through the dam. Not even the 250cfs orifice gate. Started letting 250cfs through the gate today, and will be running that going forward. I was wade fishing. If you float it you may have better luck since you can cover more water.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:03 PM

Thats a shame. I don't know what has happened to that fishery but it is a shadow of its glory from 3-4 years ago.

DBK
Old 04-19-2012, 05:23 PM

Lots of speculation, but it all seems to focus around the heavy nonstop flows. Stripe from the Cumberland eating the, trout, weeds scoured out along with the bugs that lived there, etc. Not saying your not gonna catch some trout, but so far, the numbers seem to be down. Maybe, I was just there on a bad day. The water was very clear and I did not see any trout holding in the pockets where I have seen them many times before.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBKSTONE2 View Post
Thats a shame. I don't know what has happened to that fishery but it is a shadow of its glory from 3-4 years ago.
Not trying to point a finger but I have seen a lot of bait fisherman in possession of fish that should have been released... and I'm not talking about them keeping a big fish that I feel should have been released. That is a whole other issue...

On a livelier note... looking forward to finally getting out on the Caney again. Just talked to a local guide the other day who boated a nice 5lb bow on one of their first trips out. The fish are there...

Tight Lines,
Old 04-19-2012, 09:16 PM

The river changes, and the fish move. You should do the same.