Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 04-23-2012, 09:35 PM

Default Boo - yeah

In December I decided to make a bamboo rod. After talking with Dennis Stone, www.StoneRodCo.com, I settled on a 8' 4/5 wt and went to work. I finished it in March.

First time out was a beautiful day, but no fish.

Tonight I caught my first 'bow on a bamboo rod. I was pumped...

... and then I caught 7 more, all on CDC comparaduns during a very heavy sulphur hatch. I'm hooked on bamboo. Despite a slow start, this rod's got some mojo. The next blank is being ordered this week.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:31 AM

Great looking rod and bow!
I do have to say, the boo definitely has me curious here lately. Have only wiggled here and there though as the price tag always seems to scare me away.

Have always been curious about the screen name... did you knock off all 46? If so, kudos!!

Tight Lines,
Old 04-24-2012, 08:00 AM

Bob, nice report. I wished I could have joined you, but I just need to get some work done. Good choice in streams.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:56 AM

Buzz, Flies were hatching like crazy when I got there around 4. Things went stone cold around 6 and I fished for another hour without picking up another fish. I might have time next week for a half day up at the Clinch.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:47 AM

tnfly, Yep, spent many a night in a tent in the High Peaks of the Adirondacks in the 90s and climbed them all, many of them two and three times. The Adirondacks are a jewel in my humble opinion. I have backpacked, trout fished, deer hunted, and canoed all over that 3 million acre park. If you ever get the chance, go there. Just avoid the black fly season (May - July 4th).

I have considered bamboo for a few years. Talking with Mike McKinsey and Stan Smart (many thanks to these guys) pushed me over the edge to build my own. Frankly, I can't see paying a couple thousand dollars when I can buy a blank and top notch hardware and have a solid, albeit not perfect, rod that fishes the same for <$500. And I couldn't be happier with the result so as I mentioned I am getting ready to build #2. Mike says if you can tie flies you can build a bamboo rod. I agree.

Last edited by adirondack46r; 04-24-2012 at 10:46 AM..
Old 04-24-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondack46r View Post
tnfly, Yep, spent many a night in a tent in the High Peaks of the Adirondacks in the 90s and climbed them all, many of them two and three times. The Adirondacks are a jewel in my humble opinion. I have backpacked, trout fished, deer hunted, and canoed all over that 3 million acre park. If you ever get the chance, go there. Just avoid the black fly season (May - July 4th).
Black flies are overrated... It's the 8 months of winter, give or take, that really wears on you. Talk about some serious cabin fever... I'm a SL native.

Tight Lines,
Old 04-24-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnflyfisher View Post
Black flies are overrated... It's the 8 months of winter, give or take, that really wears on you. Talk about some serious cabin fever... I'm a SL native.

Tight Lines,
Ah, so you know only too well about such things. That explains the canoe in the avatar. I built a wooden strip canoe once as well... that's a whole 'nother story.

I'm from Rochester. A couple of **** Yankees we are...
Old 04-24-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
I have considered bamboo for a few years. Talking with Mike McKinsey and Stan Smart (many thanks to these guys) pushed me over the edge to build my own. Frankly, I can't see paying a couple thousand dollars when I can buy a blank and top notch hardware and have a solid, albeit not perfect, rod that fishes the same for <$500. And I couldn't be happier with the result so as I mentioned I am getting ready to build #2. Mike says if you can tie flies you can build a bamboo rod. I agree.
Have you also built on graphite/glass? If I ever build another rod I'll probably go bamboo also. It seems to me that the wraps might be easier on the hexagonal blank than the round one and was wondering your opinion on it.

-Matt-
Old 04-24-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattblick View Post
Have you also built on graphite/glass? If I ever build another rod I'll probably go bamboo also. It seems to me that the wraps might be easier on the hexagonal blank than the round one and was wondering your opinion on it.

-Matt-

Matt, I have never built on graphite or fiberglass. Byron, tells me however, that it is exactly as you say - placing the guides on the hex bamboo is far easier than on cylindrical graphite. Wrapping the guides was no problem at all. The only "finish" issue I will try to correct on my next rod is the tiny little bumps and tag ends that didn't get totally hidden when finishing the wraps. If you have thought about building bamboo, and you don't want to start out building blanks, buy one from a rod maker and do the finishing work. It was perfect for my first rod.

46r
Old 04-24-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
If you have thought about building bamboo, and you don't want to start out building blanks, buy one from a rod maker and do the finishing work. It was perfect for my first rod.
I'm thinking that this is what I may do in the future as well, especially if the cost is considerably less.

I used to live off of Genesee Park Blvd. I went to MCC trying to get in to UR but like you said... that's a whole 'nother story.

Tight Lines,