Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-09-2012, 01:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite
Default clinch 5/7

Fished the clinch by the curch monday morning. Started out super slow, with very few flies in the air, and the lowest water i have seen in a long time. Later in the afternoon bugs (sulfers) hatched but the fish seemed to ignore them. Ended up fishing the faster water and catching about a dozen fish in all. 2 things really interested me though. I broke a fish off in a riffle, re tied on the same fly pattern and re casted, hooked up with a fish and landed it. and what do you know, there was my other fly in its mouth! Caught the same fish twice on 2 casts! I also saw a fellow wade through a riffle, only to turn around and fish what he walked through. And he caught fish almost immidiately! Later I walked through some water I did not realize was soo good looking until i got in it. I let it sit for like 5 minutes, then fished it. I caught my largest fish of the day almost where I was walking 5 minutes before. very odd.... On a side note, my buddy hooked a big (24 in +) brown with a size 18 fly in water that was super shallow and not so great looking. Ironically he hooked it only minutes after i mentioned that the big fish never live in the shallow riffles in the clinch!
Old 05-09-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2weightfavorite View Post
I also saw a fellow wade through a riffle, only to turn around and fish what he walked through. And he caught fish almost immidiately! Later I walked through some water I did not realize was soo good looking until i got in it. I let it sit for like 5 minutes, then fished it. I caught my largest fish of the day almost where I was walking 5 minutes before. very odd...
Sounds like he was doing the Clinch version of the 'San Juan Shuffle'...
Not odd at all...

Tight Lines,
Old 05-09-2012, 01:30 PM

What pattern were you using? Do you normally just let in drift in the super slow areas or look for the faster water?
Old 05-09-2012, 03:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to 2weightfavorite

stripper midges and various colors of zebra midges. they are everywhere in the clinch, but it seems i catch my largest fish out of slow water. look for the currents in the slow flat sections, or look for the slightly deeper areas in the flats, both hold good fish usually. Both areas however are not overly easy to fish. If you cannot cast 40 feet or more in the ever present clinch breeze i would keep to the riffles. I dont think the flats and slow water arre the only places with large fish, thats just where I seem to catch them. The clinch has more than enough whater to cater to everyones style of fishing.