Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fly Fishing for Trout in Other States

Old 05-13-2012, 03:23 PM

Default Smith

I got my twins graduated from college last Saturday and had them home for a week! They headed for Atlanta yesterday so it was time to go fishing. My wife said have at it, so off I went. I headed to my favorite stream--the Smith in Virginia. It is a 3 1/2 hour drive one way. I had a late start and arrived at Martinsville at around 2:30. By the time I had filled up with gas I decided not to go way upstream because I was running late. I started out at the end of the old special regs. I saw a few sulfurs popping off and some midges but I was in a beetle mood. I had 1 eat a beetle and that was it. I loaded up and went further downstream to escape the midges and sulfurs and find some hungry fish. I stopped at a place that doesn't have a lot of fish but they are a little bigger on average. I caught a few there and rolled on downstream to where I normally finish up. Took me a few minutes to get wired in but I finished up with a few more and headed home. I didn't catch a ton of fish but I caught a few nice ones for the Smith. I caught 5 or 6 little ones and the rest were in the slot.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:14 PM

Nice fish and a good report.On a nother topic, is there a deal going on with the Smith as far as who owns the stream bed. Heard there were some land owners trying to get some wading anglers for trepassing. My memory might be failing me. Just wondering how that was going because some similar actions were taking place on the South Holsten.
Lynn
Old 05-15-2012, 09:01 PM

There have been no problems with the stream bed or ownership rights on the Smith as far as I know, and I am reasonably sure I would have heard. Most of the owners are pretty nice, at least the ones I have run into. It is a neat river.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:25 PM

Went to Virginia to fish 8 or nine years ago I guess I'm not remembering right. I do remember some issue with rights given to land owners. Think it was called King James something or the other. Thanks for the reply. Must of had a brain fart or something.
Lynn
Old 05-17-2012, 07:29 AM

That will be the Jackson River north of Covington.......and the fight is still on going.
Old 06-03-2012, 05:07 PM

With the unemployment in Henry Co. greater than 30% the folks there love any outside money coming into the county from fishermen.

Cut my teeth on the Smith as a high school kid. Caught my first trout on the fly in that river....with a Mickey Finn, and learned if you don't pay attention to the release schedules and learn about the flows that it can almost kill you!