Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 05-14-2012, 12:58 PM

Default 5/10 & 11 in The Park

Other than the southbound lanes of I-75 closed Thursday just inside Tenn. on my way to Townsend (added about 1 & 1/2 hours to the trip) and packing up my tent on Sunday in the rain, it was a FANTASTIC couple of days of fishing in the GSMNP!

Friday (5/10): weather & water conditions were great, and the fishing on Jake's Creek and Little River was very, very good. Just about anything yellow was on the menu for browns and 'bows in Jake's and LR. Fishing along the backside of some of the old cabins seemed to add to the experience.

Took about an hour to get the "rust knocked off" my hook set for GSM wild trout, but once I did, it was "game on."

- - my thanks to Bill at LRO for helping me better understand how to get to Jake's, I thought it was going to be tougher than it was

Saturday (5/11): weather & water conditions were great, and the fishing on Anthony's Creek and MPLR was also very, very good (and on Laurel Creek). Again, just about anything yellow was on the menu for the 'bows (no browns this day). Last 'bow of the day to-hand on MPLR made a run away from me and just like that cam back at me as I struggled to keep tension in the line - - it jumped about 18" tryin' to shake the hook, but got it into the net.

- - I was proud enough of some of my catches from Friday that I showed Daniel and Glen some photos Saturday morning at LRO - - my thanks to them for their patience in listening to yet another mildly excited FF about another special day on the water in the GSMNP.

- - Top-notch folks all-around at LRO!

FishStu
Old 05-15-2012, 08:24 AM

Sounds great! No pictures to share with us though
Old 05-15-2012, 10:06 AM

It didn't happen if there are no pictures.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:59 PM

Okay, I'm not the sharpest hook in the fly-box, but I know when the gauntlet has been thrown. I've not posted pics before, but have wanted to - - so, I'll have to set up photobucket and will try to post some pics in a few days.

I will say that no fish is ever larger than just before it becomes "the one that got away."

I will also say that the most productive fly was a #16 headlight sally (Umpqua) followed closely in "second place" by a #16 yellow stimulator w/ legs (purchased at LRO on suggestion).

FishStu
Old 05-17-2012, 01:08 PM

Okay, gonna' try again with posting photos - -

from 5/10 & 11 - - some of the browns:

and some of the 'bows:

FishStu
Old 05-17-2012, 02:17 PM

Smile Thanks for the pics

Now if you could just make them a little bigger

Glad you had a great day, and yes the staff at LRO are first rate

When I was in a few weeks ago, both my 3 year old twin boys charged Paula with hugs are were promptly rewarded with a lolipop

They have that customer service thing nailed - whether I dealt with Byron, Paula, Daniel, Bill, Ethan, or someone I didn't know, I have always received first class service.

I was even ribbing Daniel on how I would be able to make a few more purchases if they were open either a few hours earlier or later as many of my fishing days are an "all day adventure". Low and behold he came up with a great solution even to get me things I needed when they are closed - Pretty **** Impressive