Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Saltwater Fly Fishing

Old 05-18-2012, 08:29 AM

Default 28 inch red in the rain

The tide was running a little higher than predicted so I knew that there was a possiblity of catching fish on a wading flat.....of course it was raining with a lot of lightning. I got home and got ready and waited for the lightning to settle down a bit. About 7pm the lightning finally started to calm down a bit so I went ahead and went out. I only had about 30 minutes before high and I decided to try a new flat that I had found but never fished. I picked it because it was close to the road and shelter if the lightning became an issue again.

I walke around the flat looking, it was raining and the wind was blowing pretty good. I walked all the way down to one end, and had turned around to head back. I got about 1/2 way back when I thought I saw a tail about 50 yards away. I hurried over and after watching for a good bit saw the tail again and gave it a cast. It ended up being a 28 inch red. I caught it on my LC Fiddler pattern. The pictures are not the greatest, but in my defense it was raining good and the lens must have fogged up some.

JohnH0802

Old 05-18-2012, 10:30 AM

Man that thing has some shoulders. My best was a 29'' and it wasn't near as thick as that one.Nice.I have fish envy.
Lynn
Old 05-18-2012, 04:44 PM

Lynn,
It is almost shocking how much bigger a redfish gets when he gets past 25 inches. They get so much deeper and thicker, even the difference between a 24 and 25 inch fish can be drastic.

JohnH0802
Old 05-24-2012, 04:51 PM

My wife and I vacation in Emerald Isle, N.C. and I tend to go down near the "point", and cast from the dock at the park in hopes of hooking a redfish..........there are lots of oyster shells around and grass on the shoreline......but I have yet to see any tailing reds.....maybe I need to charter a guide in order to cover more area........your thoughts would be greatly appreciated....Thanks in advance for your advice........
Old 05-27-2012, 03:30 PM

They tipically tail here on what we call high tide flats, these are flats that only flood on tides typically starting at around 7.4 feet at the Savannah River mouth. I am not sure what the tides are like in NC, but I know that they fish for tailing reds there.....you will need to look for shallow bays, flats, etc. I am not sure if they have areas of hard bottomed flats where you can wade like we do here...
John
Old 05-30-2012, 11:32 AM

Ok....I understand....I have been fishing deeper holes that lead up to grassy areas, but these stay covered with water. I need to change locations...thanks for the info!!!