Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tennessee Trout Streams and Tailwaters

Old 05-30-2012, 02:14 PM

Smile Holston below Cherokee May 25th

I fished the Holston about 5 miles below Cherokee dam on Friday May 25th from 12-3 pm. I saw a few caddis hatching but not the level of bug activity that I am used to seeing this time of year. However, trout were rising somewhat frequently to eat something (caddis emergers or midges?). I fished a double nymph rig with a heavy nymph fished about a foot above an olive zebra midge and ended up doing really well. Caught about 10 trout with 5 pushing the 15" mark and all were Holston-fat. There was a mix of rainbows and browns (first browns I have caught on the river). Below is a shot of my best fish of the day. It was awesome.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:37 PM

A brown from the Holston is not common, not rare just not an every day event. Pretty fish, and glad you had a good day.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:06 PM

Thumbs up

Very nice fish and sounds like you had a great day. Thanks for sharing with all of us.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:27 AM

Awesome!

Yet to catch a really nice brown on the Holston... I have only fished it at Nance's and need to find other sites to access the river.... care to share?
Old 05-31-2012, 06:52 AM

I have heard the Holston is fishing well and possibly at the start of an awesome 2-3 year cycle. May have to head up that way and fish with Corbo....
to choose, to respond, to change.”

Old 05-31-2012, 08:39 AM

Corbo and Shawn, I'd be glad to let you know exactly where I was fishing (Shawn has my phone#) but I accessed the river from some private property. It was a bit downstream of the Tampico area.

I was surprised at the number of browns I saw. The trout grow so quickly in that river they may have been stocked in the last year? Seems like the river would be great for browns since it is warm and relatively slow moving in a lot of areas.

There was a lot of junk (weeds and algae) floating down the river. I'm sure that brought a lot of food along and also helped disguise my un-stealthy delivery. Not sure if there is a way to predict if/when that crud plume will happen based on Cherokee's generation or if it just happens this time of year?
Old 06-01-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonBoats View Post
I have heard the Holston is fishing well and possibly at the start of an awesome 2-3 year cycle. May have to head up that way and fish with Corbo....
I am curious about the cycle you feel could be coming. If you don't mind please elaborate