Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 07-05-2012, 09:40 PM

Default Fish camp prong report

So, Jayson Alexander, who writes for the Maryville-Alcoa Daily Times, and I hiked to Fish Camp Prong on Tuesday the 3rd. We were welcomed by a Park Ranger (D.W.) and he told us people were already on the stream at CS30 and CS23. Dang! The ones at 23 were fishing with Zebcos. Better! So anyway, we hiked up Fish Camp and put in above the first waterfall/cascade which is in the vicinity of the camprock along side the creek (on the left going up). We used Yellow Sallies and a dropper with a nymph, or another dry fly...which is not really a dropper but is too. Anyway...he caught 45 and I caught 25. I figured out why he caught more than me...he had his flies on the water more! Let me explain. I am 48.. He is 18. You probably guessed what the age difference also entailed....he can still see tippet and those ridiculously tiny hook eyes that I am supposed to guide a rope through a needle's eye. So, I need to man up and say, while he was fishing, I was threading!!! Whats this all about?! This is not fun!!! So, I made the mistake of telling my wife and kids. They laughed their heads off and made lots of fun of me not being able to see. My wife handed me her PURPLE SPARKLY reading glasses and told me I might need to use them. Can you believe that!!!!

Any way...70 brookies and bows were just jumping out of the water into our hands. The smallest brookie was about 1 1/2 inches and the largest was 8". The rainbows were all larger. It was not until CS 23 that we stopped catching rainbows. We pulled out at the old CS 25 and walked the RR track/trail/manway back to the trail. We found an aluminum plaque in the ground which signified the birthplace of a baby in 1923. It was just off the trail near the RR ties. We presume it was a set-off house (stringtown) because we could not understand how a 9 month pregnant wo..... I better stop right there.

On our way out it began to rain. It was very enjoyable..that rain was. We ran into a group of three backpackers who wanted to know if "we had fished the lake up there?" I asked "What lake? There is no lake up there." She responded, "You know, that one over the mountain." "Fontana?" "Yes." I told her "well yes we did." ha ha ha

We met the guys with the Zebcos. They got skunked and could not understand why. They could also not believe we could "wave those long poles around those vines." ha ha

What a day! 70 trout, Zebcos, a lake fishing trip, the need for glasses, rain, a good friend, and all that for FREE! As I walked over the last bridge I yelled "I LOVE THIS PLACE!" Yes...it was a good day.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:57 PM

Sounds pretty awesome Jeff especially the lake fishing. Got to love those high mountain lakes but its tough getting up to the AT to fish them lol. I ran into D.W. at Walnut bottoms a couple of weeks ago. Had to congratulate him on his running the AT through the park in 14 hours nice fellow.

http://gosmokies.knoxnews.com/profil...=2hvzainc23h5b

Hey Jack (JAB)...
Old 07-09-2012, 10:42 AM

That's an awesome report. Getting old sucks don't it? I'll hit 41 this year and I feel it when I try to hike those mountains for sure.
Your lake report sounds like an encounter I had with some folks at Sugarlands a couple of years ago. A father and son fishing there argued me down that there was a lake upstream feeding the MPLP! I quit arguing pretty quick, hey what's the harm if they wanna believe it.
Old 07-10-2012, 06:50 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bran View Post
That's an awesome report. Getting old sucks don't it? I'll hit 41 this year and I feel it when I try to hike those mountains for sure.
Your lake report sounds like an encounter I had with some folks at Sugarlands a couple of years ago. A father and son fishing there argued me down that there was a lake upstream feeding the MPLP! I quit arguing pretty quick, hey what's the harm if they wanna believe it.
Your as old as you want to be. Freddie is 59 and hikes faster and covers more ground than 80% of the people I hike with. My paddling buddy James Cornett is 67 and drops waterfalls and runs some pretty stout whitewater. I did a hike with SMHC and their was at least 6 people that kicked my butt going up the mountain who were in their late 50's through early 70's. I'm not saying you body doesn't fall to crap and some people are genetically better off, but how you view yourself is even more important

Jeff - Thanks for the report. Take a tip from Freddie - make the youngster rethread your fly - it might even up your count