Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > In The Backcountry

Old 08-07-2012, 05:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to Redfish62
Question Upper Forney Creek question

I am about to make another trip to upper reaches of forney creek this time I will be bringing my son with me. In Jim Cssada's book on the creek he mentions the remains of some old logging equipment. My son loves finding stuff like this. I was wondering if anyone out there has tips on where to locate the old logging operation. Jim's book says it is near the junction of Forney Creek trail and Forney ridge trail.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:00 PM

There is some old logging equipment around the fist campsite as you make it down from Clingman's dome to Forney. The hike down is not so bad, but the hike out is an unrelenting climb back up to Clingman's. Also the first campsite were the remnants are was closed due to bear activity and we saw three on our trip last year. How old is your son and what is his experience level?
Old 08-08-2012, 05:31 AM

Not only to reiterate about the bears, also be extremely cautious around any of the old equipment for snakes, especially the copperheads.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:11 AM

Have you been on your hike yet? I know where there is a steam engine laying on it's side in the area but it is off trail and use to be a little difficult to locate.

Vincent