Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 08-19-2012, 09:52 PM

Default Smokies Report 8/18

It has been a very busy and long summer. I haven't been trout fishing since an early May outing to the Clinch, and I haven't been fishing in general since a bluegill trip on June 15th. Work obligations, family stuff, and a new house (honey-do's) have prevented me from getting out at all this year. So, when the wife suggested we send the kids to the grandparents house Saturday afternoon and we spend some time in the park I jumped at the chance. I elected to go to a small stream that was paralleled by a decent trail for a good ways so she could tag along as I fished. I honestly did not expect to catch anything, nor did I plan to spend too much time fishing as I wanted to spend additional time with her on this outing. Due to the amount of bag worms I saw in the trees I started off with a green weenie, but the water was so skinny I was having some difficulty presenting it properly. I went to switch to a yellow parachute Adams.... crap, didn't reload my fly box from my February outing. If there were a blue quill, quill Gordon, or BWO hatch I was prepared. Thankfully, I found a #16 Thunderhead and tied it on. Surprisingly, I started picking up some strikes. However, the time away from the water had significantly reduced my reaction time. After about 5 missed strikes I finally got dialed in and began picking up fish. I continued working my way up the small stream hitting every pocket, run, and eddy with what I would call good success. I continued until the stream began to veer away from the trail and I chose to call it a day.

My fishing time only lasted a little over an hour, but I picked up fantastic numbers in that short time. Granted they were all bows and ranged from about 7" to around 2", however it was awesome to feel a tug on the end of the line.

It was a beautiful day to be outside, and I could not have asked for a better fishing companion for the day. We had the stream and trail entirely to ourselves, which was a bit surprising based on the number of fishermen we saw along the road on the drive in. Hope others on the board were able to get out and enjoy the amazing day.

Until next time, tight lines and God bless.

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler
Old 08-19-2012, 10:37 PM

Glad you were able to get out Travis! Someone needs to keep all those trout occupied for me until I can come home to visit...
"Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

http://thetroutzone.blogspot.com
http://www.troutzoneanglers.com
Old 08-20-2012, 08:13 AM

Smile Glad you were finally able to get out

Looks like you had a great time catching fish and hanging with your honey

One thing is apparent from your report though - You need to put those grandparents to work more often, and maybe need to restock your fly box. Also a camera would be nice

I myself have been blessed to spend 5 of the last 8 days in the Park and have been grinning ear to ear

My poor wife was about at her breaking point last night after a long day taking the twins to Johnson City to visit family. Sam was throwing a tantrum for the umpteen time, and she looked over at me like she was going to lose it. I just smiled and grabbed Sam, and told her to take a well deserved break. She jealously looked over at me to which I could only resond, "The Smokies has refreshed my soul, and you need to get up there more with me. I feel like I can pretty much deal with anything right now"

Get back out there soon, you won't regret it. And I can remember my first 5 years of home ownership were filled with tons of projects to improve the house. The next 5 years were filled with projects to minimize upkeep, and to get me more time in the Smokies
Old 08-20-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knapp View Post
Glad you were able to get out Travis! Someone needs to keep all those trout occupied for me until I can come home to visit...
My wife and I stopped by Little River Trading Company on the way home, and they were having an "End of Summer Clearance Sale". As I was walking out I said, "I need to text David and let him know. Oh wait, he is in Colorado."

They had some good stuff on sale for 30% off too. Big Agnes Bags, Pads, Tents, etc. Apparently Big Agnes is changing colors again, and therefore all things must go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckypaddler View Post
Looks like you had a great time catching fish and hanging with your honey

One thing is apparent from your report though - You need to put those grandparents to work more often, and maybe need to restock your fly box. Also a camera would be nice

I myself have been blessed to spend 5 of the last 8 days in the Park and have been grinning ear to ear

My poor wife was about at her breaking point last night after a long day taking the twins to Johnson City to visit family. Sam was throwing a tantrum for the umpteen time, and she looked over at me like she was going to lose it. I just smiled and grabbed Sam, and told her to take a well deserved break. She jealously looked over at me to which I could only resond, "The Smokies has refreshed my soul, and you need to get up there more with me. I feel like I can pretty much deal with anything right now"

Get back out there soon, you won't regret it. And I can remember my first 5 years of home ownership were filled with tons of projects to improve the house. The next 5 years were filled with projects to minimize upkeep, and to get me more time in the Smokies
Good for you (on getting out and voluntarily giving the wife a break). I have found that such a small gesture can typically eliminate any frustration she may have developed throughout a week of taking care of kids while I am on a business trip. And keep a marriage healthy.

I agree, it is definitely very rejuvenating. And having a wife that enjoys being out there with me is truly a blessing.

My cheap Olympus crapped out on me after my son used it to take about a million pictures of each of his hotwheels, legos, etc. I took my D90, but left it with the wife while I was fishing expecting her to take pictures of whatever. She never even took it out of the case.... I borrowed my inlaws P&S, but was so unimpressed with the picture quality I didn't post any. I am actually searching for a good replacement small camera that has manual control functionality. I may start another thread in a few days about that in the photography section.

I was just looking to get out with my wife and test out some new gear I recently purchased (Osprey Stratos 24), and maybe catch a few fish on the side. I would call it a huge success!

My Blog --> http://tnfishingfanatic.blogspot.com/

My Photo Site --> http://knxtravis80.zenfolio.com/

Email ChemEAngler