Home Register Today's Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Fishing Classic Rods and Gear

Old 09-06-2012, 03:44 PM

Default bamboo for smoky mountains

Does anyone have any advise on a bamboo taper for smoky mountain streams? Anything from bradley's fork to the little river....high or low elevation.....any length...any maker.....any price......mainly interested in the taper.....please chime in........
Old 09-09-2012, 02:39 PM

Yonder, I am currently writing an article for Southern Trout Magazine on this very subject. Should be sending it in to the editor this week and it will hopefully be in the next issue. If I am fishing in the GSMNP you can be certain that I will be fishing a bamboo rod. I build my own and have built smokies rods for others in everything from an 8' 6wt to a 6ft 2 wt for the park. If you want to get more info, feel free to contact me at

riverdaleclassicsbamboo@gmail.com

Let me know what you have in mind and I can hopefully provide some direction for you.

Marc
Old 09-09-2012, 08:44 PM

Yonder,

Did you get my email reference W. Babb and the above question?

Breck
Old 11-15-2012, 09:51 PM

I fish bamboo in the smokies some myself. Walter Babb built mine about 5 years ago and did an awesome job. there is something very romantic and magical about cane and the mountains. I would recommend a 4 or 5 wt in a canerod. They are great for dryfly fishing in the mountains.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:58 PM

Flyred,

I pick mine up shortly. I pass his house on the way to Lenoir City where I work and get to visit with Walter often. I never take seeing him for granted. Did you know he grew up as a kid in Lenoir City?

I'd love to see your rod as you pass by. He was installing my ferules and starting to polish. Maybe one more week till finished.

Let me know.

Breck
Old 11-15-2012, 10:02 PM

what taper did you go with? leonard, payne ? I got him to build mine off the dry fly special rods he has but made it in a six weight. flamed the cane and went with the agate ferruls
Old 11-15-2012, 10:17 PM

Leonard, 4 wt.. 8 months in the waiting. Like waiting for 9 months on a child!!! Well worth the wait though. I've been able to watch it grow from split stage through finish!! Amazing Craftsmanship!! I am proud to keep it American , Local and I walk the same paths he has fished before me.

Breck