Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Tackle and Gear

Old 12-25-2012, 01:38 PM

Default Christmas Gifts

I was pleasantly surprised to receive a TFO Professional 9' 8WT rod today from my parents. They knew I wanted one, but I had not asked them to get it for me for Christmas.

Thanks, Paula for helping them out! Dad said he talked with you about Dubbing, to keep himself from buying other stuff for himself. Can't wait to come in to outfit the rod. I tried the heaviest line I have on it, and it slings that 6WT line like crazy.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-25-2012, 07:45 PM

congrats on the gift. I also received a TFO proffesional 2 in a 9ft 7wt from my wife. The weather has been crap here today and I have not got a chance to try it out but cannot wait till I do. I bought a 9' 9wt proffesional 2 a few weeks back and throw a 350 grain intermediate line on it and it does an awesome job. I hope both our rods bring hours of enjoyment for us both. an 8 wt lends me to believe you are going for larger fish than just whats in the mountains. Post some pics of the pigs you land on that rod.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:36 PM

Yes, I will be hitting some warm waters with it. It will definitely be an adjustment, since I love fishing with my 3 wt. I will be in FL in May for my nieces college graduation, and I hope to work in a trip on some flats into it. Never fished on flats, but eager to give it a go.

I will definitely be targeting some species I have not hunted for with a fly rod yet. May have to go after some carp. Lots of options in East TN.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:35 PM

dude you will have a blast with that rod. i got the 9wt and been catching 2-3 lb stripes and drums lately and it puts a heck of a fight on those rods. I think you will be very satisfied.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:09 AM

Thanks, flyred. Any recommendations on line? I have done all WF*F so far. I may get a reel with an extra spool, so I can have one with floating, and one with sinking.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:20 PM

Scientific angler streamer express 250 grain intermediate sink tip. I use the 350 grain on my 9 wt. It will sink like 1.5 inch per second. Totally great with weighted flies in lakes and ponds. Full intermediate if you go to rivers