Home QLinks New Posts Members User CP Calendar FAQ

Go Back   Little River Outfitters Forum > Fly Fishing Board > Smoky Mountain Fishing

Old 01-28-2013, 07:48 AM

Default Kentuckiana Fly Show report

Ice on the roads Friday was nearly gone by the time we got to Louisville. Brown Hotel still had enough cookies that we avoided buying supper and were able to focus on quality time in the Bourbon Room. I am not sure what Heaven will look like, but I hope that part of it resembles this cozy oasis.
The Kentuckiana Fly Fishing Show was bigger than I expected it to be. About half of the crowd was foreigners (mostly from Illinois and Indiana), but they had a surprisingly good mastery of the English language. Some of them even bought books which lead me to believe that perhaps there may actually be some cultural commonality between the South and the North. Perhaps Lincoln was not altogether misguided.
I had an opportunity to spend some time with Randy Randliff. I like him. He agreed to do a series of articles on Tenkara fishing for Southern Trout. I think it will make for an interesting reading for those who already fans of sushi and Yamahas.
Anywho, made it home without any moving violation citations. The only problem was when they asked me to stop smoking my cigar in the children’s play area at McDonald’s in Bowling Green. I mistakenly thought we were outside, when in fact the darn place is encased. The managerette of the place was almost hysterical because one of the kids bumped into the hot end of my cigar when we were in that bin filled with plastic balls. All in all though, I think everyone there was a bit excitable.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the report, Mr Kirk! We still need to have lunch one day.
Old 01-28-2013, 01:16 PM

Thanks, Don. Is the Park still a popular destination with the folks? – JF
Old 01-28-2013, 05:23 PM

Default Joe-Absolutely

Joe,
I never cease to be amazed at the love so many people have for the Smokies and for fishing the waters there. I had about a half dozen people talk to me about your new maps. They marveled at the detail and thoroughness of them. For the folks in Kentucky and nearby the Smokies are still closer than Montana, Alaska and about anywhere else. There were a lot of guide services there from the Great Lakes. Apparently fishing the “flats” on the Great Lakes is regarded as great fun these days. Couple of carp guide there too from Indiana—hi ho a carpin’ we go.

Joe, next stop for us is show in Winston-Salem, then the Wine & Fly thingie in northern Va. A week or two after that is new Whine and Fly thingie at Bristol (they tell me in the middle of the race course), then the FFF thing over in Cullohowee, NC. Too busy to make the Sowbug Fester over in Arkansas (booked to talk to some group in Lynchburg who I hope are on a friendly basis with the distillery there). I suspect we will see each other soon—looking forward to seeing how we can help each other.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:39 PM

Thanks, Don! I am hoping to be at Bristol May 4. I found this link: Thunder Valley Fly and Wine Expo
– JF

Last edited by JoeFred; 01-28-2013 at 09:54 PM..
Old 02-15-2013, 12:40 PM

Don;
The Kentuckiana show was a good show. It was our 3rd year to have a booth. The B.U.F.F. show in Cinci the next weeked was a real class act also. An early morning snow storm held the crowd down a bit.
You will be speaking at the March 14th meeting of the Lynchburg Fly Fishing Club. The meeting will be held at "Ming's" Chineese resturant in Tullahoma, TN. Equi distance from Jack Daniel's and George Dickel!
I'll have just returned from the Fly Fishng Expo in Warren, MI (about 6=8 times bigger than Kentuckiana!)
Looking forward to meeting you and adding your book to my colection.